• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little Overture SE help...

Share/Bookmark

A little Overture SE help...

I've just started off with Overture, working on a little piece right now and there are some things in Overture i find lacking. I don't know if it's the programs that lacks features or if it's me that lack the knowhow.

Two things mainly i'm wondering.

Is there a way to step forward/backwards in the score? Either bar by bar, or page by page?
    As it is now, the only way i've found to go from (for example) the last page to a certain page is to click the "play from beginning" button and then wait until it gets to where i want. NOT a good solution when the piece is long!
    (I've checked the manual for Overture 3, since the manual for Overture SE is a bit lacking, and Overture 3 has got buttons at the bottom of the scorewindow for this... SE has not).

and...

Is there a way to insert bars in the middle, or start, of a piece?
    The only way i've found is to cut and paste, but it's a lot of work if there's many instruments on the score.
    I'm looking for something like: Position the cursor between bar 15 and 16, press insert bar and voila... a new empty bar 16 and the rest is moved one bar.

I know... upgrade to something else. Like Overture 4 or Sibelius. I might, when i've raised the funds someday.

Re: A little Overture SE help...

Quote Originally Posted by Tocca
    I've just started off with Overture, working on a little piece right now and there are some things in Overture i find lacking. I don't know if it's the programs that lacks features or if it's me that lack the knowhow.

Two things mainly i'm wondering.

Is there a way to step forward/backwards in the score? Either bar by bar, or page by page?
    As it is now, the only way i've found to go from (for example) the last page to a certain page is to click the "play from beginning" button and then wait until it gets to where i want. NOT a good solution when the piece is long!
    (I've checked the manual for Overture 3, since the manual for Overture SE is a bit lacking, and Overture 3 has got buttons at the bottom of the scorewindow for this... SE has not).

and...

Is there a way to insert bars in the middle, or start, of a piece?
    The only way i've found is to cut and paste, but it's a lot of work if there's many instruments on the score.
    I'm looking for something like: Position the cursor between bar 15 and 16, press insert bar and voila... a new empty bar 16 and the rest is moved one bar.

I know... upgrade to something else. Like Overture 4 or Sibelius. I might, when i've raised the funds someday.
    1. It's been a while,but I recall that SE did have the measure/page number window. Perhaps your Windows taskbar is covering it up. Mine could. How do you have your taskbar set?

2. Position the cursor where you want it, then
    EITHER
    Measures>insert
    OR
    Ctrl I

and follow the prompts.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    1. It's been a while,but I recall that SE did have the measure/page number window. Perhaps your Windows taskbar is covering it up. Mine could. How do you have your taskbar set?

2. Position the cursor where you want it, then
    EITHER
    Measures>insert
    OR
    Ctrl I

and follow the prompts.

Jim
    Thanks a lot!
    Don't know how i missed the "Measures>insert". It's right there in the menus. Ah well.

You were right about the taskbar. I moved it to the right side of screen and there the list was with next/prev page, voices and so on. Don't think i would've figured that out for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocca
    Thanks a lot!
    Don't know how i missed the "Measures>insert". It's right there in the menus. Ah well.

You were right about the taskbar. I moved it to the right side of screen and there the list was with next/prev page, voices and so on. Don't think i would've figured that out for some time.
    Glad to help, Tocca!
    (For once I know what I'm talking about )

Starting with a new program can be difficult and overwhelming!

Jim (Overture 4 user)
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum