• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the BEST SYMPHONIC SOUNDS LIBRARY for a classical composer?

Share/Bookmark

What's the BEST SYMPHONIC SOUNDS LIBRARY for a classical composer?

Hi,

I am familiar with Vienna Symphonic/Opus 1; EastWest; Garritan; and Miroslav symphonic orchestral sounds libraries.

I think that VSL is the best, as it is most realistic and not-Hollywood sounding, but EastWest has won some serious awards.

Any opinions, or suggestions for sound libraries that are better?

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: What's the BEST SYMPHONIC SOUNDS LIBRARY for a classical composer?

Hi,

I don't own all of the libs you listed, so not the best person to comment, but if you are doing lots of up front strings and aren't into lots of tweaking, you might want to include Sonic Implants Strings in your list for out-of-the-box good sound.

If you like things very well tune like me, forget about ewso, there's a tuning problem in that lib., and even the producer admits that. As for sonic implant, i have a very good feeling about it, in fact i'm ordering some strings from theme reel soon, thanks to peoples like Joanne who convinced me. As for VSL it's a safe buy, you can't go wrong whit that. If you like the VSL sound, go for it.

If you plan to get ewso, i strongly suggest you wait, the price will go down caus it always does and god knows maby they will fix the pitch issue, although i have my doughts, they are now trying to denie the probleme, personnaly i don't like the compagny but if they ever tune the damm thing, it's gonna be hard to beat for the price, but i wouldn' t count on it.

If you're on a budjet maby VSL Opus bundle is the best thing for you caus the next choise(sonic implants the full package) is mutch more expensive, $2600 as oppose to $1000 for VSl Opus bundle. But of corse, you get more for $2600. You should tcheak the price( not a 100% shure), BTW, sonic implants have there forum right here, tcheak it out you will find a link to there websit and can listen to demo there. Enjoy.

P.S. Don't be too impress by the awards, there could be politics there? i'm not shure.
    Geronimo.

Hi Check this out http://www.synful.com/ . Jon

Quote Originally Posted by njbiology
    I think that VSL is the best, as it is most realistic and not-Hollywood sounding, but EastWest has won some serious awards.
    From the GOS Clearance Sale thread:
    GOS was so innovative that it was the first sample library ever to win the Electronic Musician Editor's Choice award and even created the sample library category for that award.
    http://www.garritan.com/awards.html

Now that's serious...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I would go for EWQLSO Gold or Platinum (with the XP upgrade) if you can afford it. VSL Opus 1 disapointed me...but that is my opinion. I'm sure VSL's more expensive stuff is better. BTW, I use EWQLSO almost every day and it sounds in tune to my ears.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

I think it might be very wise to see what happens at NAMM-- and I don't think I would buy anything today if I thought I could hold out until GPOA appears.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I think it might be very wise to see what happens at NAMM-- and I don't think I would buy anything today if I thought I could hold out until GPOA appears.
    I second that!

I'm not sure if anything of GPO Advanced is going to be demoed or announced at NAMM, but I hope to see something at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt (March 29-31 ). I won't buy any orchestral lib until I see what GPOA is capable of. As you all know, Gary reinvents the sampling world with each release. Maybe GPO is not the most complete orchestral library outhere (it didn't intend to be), but it established a new way of interaction with samples. Look at the latest release, the strad, mmmm... I'm sure GPOA is gonna rock the sampling world once more. So, I'd keep my money on until Gary strikes back!

...VSL is best organized and Legato tool is pretty good.
    Strings are little bit inexpressive, Trumpet Horns and Tromboni ( except for legati and some repetition)are not good (for me). Clarinet flute and basson are very good.
    The Oboe is a viennese oboe so you need to buy french oboe,pretty good.
    So you need to mix all and put all instruments in the stereo field and try for
    a good ensemble sound using a good implulse reverb....
    ....EWXPPro maybe "imperfect" but sound close a real orchestra.
    Except for some "legati" in VSL i like EWXPPRo.

VSL's OPUS 1 is awesome, with lots of articulation (steps ahead of the old revered Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra).

DD Solo Woodwinds (by Dan Dean) are "groovy".

Brass is a tricky thing, however. Am still stumped on that instrument section.

Go Back to forum