• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Logic user, a ? about Pro Tools...

Share/Bookmark

OT: Logic user, a ? about Pro Tools...

Hello all!

Off topic here, but I know that this is a group of knowledge! I am thinking about moving to Pro Tools from Logic Pro 7. The main reason I went with Logic is because I heard that writing music to video is easy (I think so). Now, I want to got Pro Tools, but I can't find much info on it.

Question:
    Is it easy to write music to video in Pro Tools? Any info is appreciated!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: OT: Logic user, a ? about Pro Tools...

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook
    Is it easy to write music to video in Pro Tools?
    Not very much. You miss some very important composing tools, like traditional scoring and finer midi event editing. Unless you have ProTools hardware, and the need to professionally record real players on a daily basis, I wouldn't make the move.

Paolo

Thank you for the info! I had thought that it was more of a audio recording set up, but I was talking to an acquaintance who is in the biz and he told me that Pro Tools was the standard. When I mentioned that I used Logic, he made it seem like I was using an amatuer software or something. Your reply makes me feels better though, I like Logic and I know it best. Thanks again!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook
    Question:
    Is it easy to write music to video in Pro Tools? Any info is appreciated!
    IMNSHO, NO. You'd be better off with Cubase SX or Nuendo...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Not to get into DAW debates, but Logic is in no way 'amateur' software. To be honest, when it comes to MIDI implementation, 'amateur' status could much more easliy be applied to Pro Tools when compared to Logic, Digital Performer, Sonar, and Cubase.

Quote Originally Posted by ELP71
    Not to get into DAW debates, but Logic is in no way 'amateur' software. To be honest, when it comes to MIDI implementation, 'amateur' status could much more easliy be applied to Pro Tools when compared to Logic, Digital Performer, Sonar, and Cubase.
    Agreed - I have a friend who composes in Logic and mixes in Pro Tools - but I think he's doing more and more with Logic "in the box" and getting away from the PITA of the Pro Tools paradigm, which from his indication seems to be hostile to the creative process. I had a license for Pro Tools M-Powered through the end of last year, and found its MIDI implementation to be laughably bad.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

You're going to encounter the same kind of religious attitudes and arrogance with DAW software as you're used to encountering in Mac vs. Microsoft, Linux vs. The World, etc. That's not a sufficient reason to abandon a platform that's working for you.

The "pro" version of Pro Tools is a hardware based solution that offers the advantage of offloading the processor intensive work of music production to dedicated units, thus getting the load off of your computer. These days, beyond bragging rights about how much money you spent on your system, it's about the only advantage that PT really offers. Most pro level DAW software (Logic, Digital Performer, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, Lions, Tigers, Bears...) offers a very similar and competitive set of features. Properly configured modern computers, both Mac and PC, have more than enough horsepower to get the job done. And if you choose the host based (i.e. DAW software that will do the job completely within your computer with no external processing units) version of Pro Tools, PT LE I believe, there's no advantage at all other than name recognition.

However, even with the PT hardware based system, the processing power comes at a significant cost. For one, if you're going to set up a full PT rig, you're going to be spending serious 5 figures before it's all said and done. Additionally, whenever Digi decides that their current hardware platform is no longer cool enough, you're looking at spending that large chunk of money all over again to upgrade to the next batch of hardware. Much more expensive than a software upgrade for your host based DAW system.

Pro Tools was the only game in town for many years, and thus became a standard. Today, however, host based systems are used the world over by serious professionals for everything from big name albums to scores for major motion pictures. Since most software can import / export to common formats, the fact that PT is a "standard" is no longer the mandate that it once was. You can make excellent music with any of the major (or even minor) players out there, and I defy the listener to identify any difference beyond the skill of the engineers.

Pro Tools is a great system. But then, so are all the others. Choose your computer and software platform based on what gets the job done for you, not the ego of being part of a club. At the end of the day, all that really matters is what comes out of the speakers.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

My uncle uses Pro Tools and he was trying to get me to switch to it too. He always tells me how it's the industry standard, how him and all of his pro buddys use it, and how if I use anythign else I can't be truly serious. I told him I do mostly midi stuff and asked him to show me the features of Pro Tools (6.7 at the time). He was showing me all of these new midi features that were just added. I laughed at him and told him that my sequencer (Sonar at the time) did all of that and more in versions well before Sonar 3. When I switched over to Mac and Logic, he once again told me I was making a mistake with an inferior sequencer. Now he's trying to sell me on the features of Pro Tools 7. Then I told him about all of the things I've been and can do in logic. Luckily he's left me alone for now.

I wouldn't really advise switching to Pro Tools for scoring to video. If you need to record and handle of a lot of audio, then maybe Pro Tools, but I'd still keep Logic around for your midi sequencing.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    I can't be truly serious.
    When they told me back in the 90s that it would be $20k - $30k for a Pro Tools HD system, that was my response - "Oh, you can't be serious..."

Truth of the matter is that I was ready to spend it, but no one would take my money if I was running Windows. It wasn't a Mac elitist attitude - they just felt that the Windows version of the software wasn't anywhere near up to par, and didn't want an unhappy customer. I got this from 6 different dealers across the country, and then gave up and went a different path with the studio.

Digi reps really earned my respect that week. Very few people in business these days are willing to put integrity before a $25,000 sale.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Digi reps really earned my respect that week. Very few people in business these days are willing to put integrity before a $25,000 sale.
    That's the secret of the ProTools biz: satisfied customers. The system must work with no (or minimal) fuss. All considered, your ProTools-equipped studio is asking $500 per hour...

Best,
    Paolo

Go Back to forum