• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rhapsody In Blue

Share/Bookmark

Rhapsody In Blue

Hi everyone,
    Back in the eighties, I recorded what used to be the World International Champion Sweet Adelines Quartet (Women's Barbershop)

The name of the ladies group was Ambiance.

The title song on their CD is Rhapsody Of New York, taken from George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue. The song was arranged and lyrics written by David Wright. The lyrics speak of David's amazing discoveries of the Big Apple (New York City) after being raised in a small town.

Listen and read the lyrics at the same time if you wish. This is four part harmony and no overdubbing.

Enjoy,
    Dan

Rhapsody Of New York

I hear a symphony pounding, resounding, alive with the jive of this town.
    It’s there, the blare, the flair, the sound, the brass, the class, the sass- the town.
    A piercing cry rushes up to the sky;
    The pounding rhythm of the sidewalks and the subways and the avenues and side streets in the heart of New York!

I hear a symphony clashing and brash blasting out from the proud silhouette,
    So proudly flaunting it’s crashing, clashing jumble- a sound I can’t forget.
    Suddenly now over the clamor I hear a melodious moan like a lone clarinet,
    a sound so haunting, it’s melancholy moaning, it has my soul beset.
    So gently taunting. The teasing flirting flutter charms like a fair coquette.
    It lures me down on the streets of the town, down on the ground with the people around,
    Hurryin’, scurryin’, flurryin’ ev’rywhere they go,
    Jumpin’ and thumpin’ and bumpin’ and dashing to and fro,
    Amblin’, scramblin’… I just want to know;
    What is a person to make of this confusing parade?
    Why are they marching like ants in a relentless brigade?
    Stepping and stopping and starting as if they must obey some voice above directing their flow.

Somehow the stir bemuses me so.

I hear a symphony pounding, resounding, alive with the jive of this town.
    I hear a symphony blasting, lambasting; the blare fills the air all around.
    Can’t you hear the sound?
    The music haunts me, the pounding taunts me, the ruckus rocks me, the racket mocks me.
    Lambasting blasting my brain. Just when I think I’ve gone insane, over the clamor there comes a melodious moan, a euphonious groan, a harmonious jazz…Jazz!

Everyone moves along to the rhythm and blare, Harlem dude saunters on with a comical flair. And on Park Avenue rich folks are struttin’ with their noses in the air.
    Taxicabs zig and zag to the beat of Times Square.
    Such unforgettable unremittable, irresistible syncopation!
    The aggravation of this pulsation and the syncopation, it makes me weary, I’ve a headache! Can’t we please slow this down?

The pounding rhythm of the sidewalks and the subways and the avenues and side streets in the heart of New York!
    The bustling, unabated pulsing and convulsing in this ocean of commotion is a part of New York. And it’s a part of that rhapsody grand (hear the music!), rising out over this land (feel the music!) This jivin’ jumble is the sound of an orchestra, and ev’ry New Yorker plays a part;
    Painted and tainted forty second street lady vaunts her sexy sway…
    Up in an old East Harlem chapel a sad old Padre kneels to pray.
    Bums on the bow’ry loll and dally the day away.. and they don’t hear the song they play.

Under the avenue the packed masses rumble along, hammering, clamoring.
    Through a dark corrider the train passes, thundering on, and roaring past a station wall seedy with graffiti the deaf’ning noise gets worse, I’m staring at blank faces of all races, then I discover… somebody stole my purse!
    Into Grand Central now the train clatters, opens it’s doors, and how the crowd scatters, like brigade of marching ants surging out of the ground.
    Onto the busy corner’s mad merging merry-go-round.
    I get away into a tall building, into an elevator now filling.
    Skyward we go, up to the top story, as I behold Manhattan’s grand glory,
    I hear the sound.

I hear a song in ev’ry avenue bustling, passerby hustling, market man shouting, little tot pouting, broken heart crying, gentle wind sighing.
    Music is there in ev’ry subway train roaring graceful gull soaring, carriage horse clip- clop, pattering rain drop,
    Each little sound, from ev’ry corner in town, it plays to me. Each sound is like the music to me, you see…. it’s playing this blue rhapsody.

I hear the music of the night, rising above the flashing lights, I hear the music of the Great White Way playing the dazzling glamour of the late night sway.
    Over the blazing affair it’s hovering up in the air, the dissonant sound of many songs ascending. Mixing and churning into a melody, with rhythm and harmony, too, and suddenly there’s… JAZZ!

The pounding rhythm of the sidewalks and the subways and the avenues and side streets in the heart of New York, I feel it!
    The bustling, unabated pulsing and convulsing in this ocean of commotion is a part of New York. And it’s a part of that rhapsody grand (hear the music!), rising out over this land (feel the music!)
    This jivin’ jumble is the magic and the majesty, the spirit and the splendor of the town of New York.

I hear a symphony pounding, resounding alive with the jive of this town.
    It’s plays a rhapsody. It pounds the heartbeat of New York!

Re: Rhapsody In Blue

Wow Dan, that's a BIG post.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

How cool! Dan, you always seem to have fun mp3s Thanks for sharing. Very nice harmony!

American Express . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

That is some amazing singing there, Dan. And witty lyrics, to go with the ingenious arrangement. There were times, that I was anticipating a high part, and thinking, "They wiil drop that bit down an octave." but to my astonishment the voices just soared up there.
    I honestly never realised that Barbershop Quartets were this adventurous.
    Man, I have been leading a sheltered life.
    regards

Hi Joe,
    Barbershop singing and arrangements have come a long way since four drunks singing on the street corner...
    down our way both night and day....you know everybody and they all know you, and even policeman say how do you do.

Here's a little more adventurous singing by The Gas House Gang. They are members of the International Champion Barbershop chorus called Ambassadors Of Harmony. I have another recording session tomorrow evening recording some more music for their upcoming CD. 160 men is an amazing sound.

I give you Beethoven 5.1

I posted this once before but here it is again.

Superb arrangement. Fantastic intonation in that LVB opus.
    Makes me wonder why I have been fooling around with Violins and Piano's and suchlike.
    Barbershop is clearly where its at, man.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Superb arrangement. Fantastic intonation in that LVB opus.
    Makes me wonder why I have been fooling around with Violins and Piano's and suchlike.
    Barbershop is clearly where its at, man.
    regards
    It's fun,
    thanks for listening Joaz
    Dan

Well Wrap My City In Blue! That was great!
    Styxx

Wow, both of these are great. Thanks for sharing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Fantastic. Loved both.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum