• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rally Championship Theme Tune. Comments?

Share/Bookmark

Theme Tune. Comments?

Hi.

I'm just completing writing the title music for the World Rally Championship TV series for ITV1 (a UK channel) and, to be quite honest, I'm stuck! I think I might have finished it (the client's happy) but I find it hard to know when enough is enough. I'm too much of a perfectionist, me.

Here's a link with the music to the picture:

http://www.messhead.com/downloads/wrc_titles.mov

I would welcome any advice (mastering, EQ, arrangement, mix) that you could give to help me to sparkle it up a little. Is it too sparse at the beginning, for example? Does it need more of an actual melody? Are the strings playing the bass part strong enough or should I supplement it with a live bass riff?

I also have to do a selection of stings and a 3 minute version of this track. And I have until first thing Tuesday to do it. Ouch!

All views greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Re: Theme Tune. Comments?

Hi Nick,
    I like the arrangement as it is (should go well with Ralley images), however
    I'd add a little bit more punch in the (upper) bass region.
    On TV it'll be heavily compressed and the deep basses will be reduced
    anyway.
    Did you already listen to it on your own TV set?

Good luck.
    Tom

Re: Rally Championship Theme Tune. Comments?

Hi Tom.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at the bass. You're right. It sounds alright through decent monitors but through a TV it may well be a different matter (I haven't done the TV test yet).

You say it should go well with rally images. You actually should've been able to see the title sequence with the music. It was a .mov (QuickTime) file that I uploaded to my site. Hmmm. I'll have to check that out...

Cheers,

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    You say it should go well with rally images. You actually should've been able to see the title sequence with the music. It was a .mov (QuickTime) file that I uploaded to my site. Hmmm. I'll have to check that out...
    Don't worry, I haven't installed quicktime and the generic (free-) player
    I'm using ignores the visual part...

Hi Nick..

One of your competitors here!!!!

I think it sounds great.

I've done the tv and computer speakers test and to be honest I'm struggling to find fault. I know what Tom meant about the upper bass but I really wouldn't lose sleep about it... by the time the dubbing mixers have had there way it will be the least of your worries!!

I SOO understand the "when to let go" feeling but I think this one's done!

I know the programme well and look forward to catching it soon... with the new title theme!!

Best

Ty Unwin

Hi Ty.

Thanks for your comments. Coming from 'the competition' - your list of credits is very impressive by the way - it has added resonance. Much appreciated ol' chap. Oh, and thanks also for doing the TV and computer speaker test. Saves me a bit of time.

It is a strange one, not being able to lay a track to rest. Even though a client may be happy with what I've written, I've begun to realise that I'm not actually doing it for them. Ultimately I'm doing it for myself. There have been occasions when programme-makers have wanted to use my work-in-progress that I've thought to be so shockingly awful that I've begged them to let me resubmit!

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Does this require QT7 ?
    Because I only have QT6 installed.
    But I got to hear it.
    First I really like this. (BTW, I like Crystal Method, Paul Oakenfold alot.)
    The best part is the intro.
    I really like how the music starts and before the main part start,
    the bass bends down (I don`t know how you call it. pitch down, maybe?),
    and the synths and drum patterns change there. I like how it evolves.
    What synth (hardware, software ) or samples did you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    Does it need more of an actual melody? Are the strings playing the bass part strong enough or should I supplement it with a live bass riff?
    Cheers,
    Nick
    ----------------------
    No Nick - you don't need to bother woth all of that. That's fine for this kind of programme in my view.

Hi Nick

"Works in progress being used?"... Know the feeling... the beeb put out a series years ago where the first two eps went out with all of my rough laptop sketches.... even though I'd spent a month redoing the finished material!! ... and when I say "rough"... I mean "ROUGH"!!! Gits! Learnt my lesson though... Now there is no such thing as a rough sketch... If I wouldn't be happy to see it go out they don't get it!!!

Thanks for the compliment by the way... Yours is equally so!

Cheers

Ty

PS just looked on your website and realised that you did "True Horror : Vampire"... for my sins I did the "Werewolves" ep!!! Hope yours was as much of a laugh as mine was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    Does this require QT7 ?
    Because I only have QT6 installed.
    I'm not sure. It may do.

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    What synth (hardware, software ) or samples did you use ?
    All software (most of my hardware is gathering dust in the loft).

For the drums/percussion there are elements from: Stylus RMX, Storm Drum, BT Breakz from the Nu Skool, Luscious Grooves, Nu Directions, Drum Fundamentals.

The synths used are: Minimonsta (lovely!), Albino 2, Korg Legacy Collection, Pluggo, Vitual Guitarist EE (the 'wacka wacka' wah riff), USB X-treme FX, Spectrasonics Atmosphere.

Other samples: VSL Strings (First Edition), VSL Chamber Strings, Smart Violins, Symphony of Voices, BT Twisted Textures, Flum, Evolution, TH1, 160DB.

FX: ALtiverb and loads of PSP, Ohm Force and UAD-1 plug-ins. Korg Kaoss Pad 2.

I'm glad you like the track Veron. It was very much inspired by a Brit group called Hybrid.

Cheers,

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Go Back to forum