• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Flute Solo V Problem

Share/Bookmark

Flute Solo V Problem

Hello all, I'm new to instrument sampling and I'm learning and getting better at it every day, however I'm having one particular issue that I have been stuck on and I cannot seem to resolve. When I use the Flute Solo V sample, all notes I write are detached to the point where 16th notes are not even audible. This is the only GPO sample I have had this problem with thus far. Is there some sort of setting related to this sample that I am overlooking? I am using Sonar 4 and have downloaded the latest GPO patches. Any help is great appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Flute Solo V Problem

Welcome to the forum, Gerky!!
    This happens when the polyphony is set to "1", which is the default load polyphony. It's good to have polyphony set higher, pretty much anything more than 1 will do it.
    Most 'solo' instruments (as opposed to plr instruments) load at 1 polyphony. Be sure to raise it up.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    This happens when the polyphony is set to "1", which is the default load polyphony. It's good to have polyphony set higher, pretty much anything more than 1 will do it.
    Most 'solo' instruments (as opposed to plr instruments) load at 1 polyphony. Be sure to raise it up.
    I very much disagree with this sentiment.

In order to use the legato function, the polyphony must be set to 1. That is why 1 is the default value.

I don't have any problems with the solo flute. Perhaps you could try re-loading the instrument.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I very much disagree with this sentiment.

In order to use the legato function, the polyphony must be set to 1. That is why 1 is the default value.

I don't have any problems with the solo flute. Perhaps you could try re-loading the instrument.
    Really?
    It seems to work the opposite for me.
    Hmm.
    I'll go check it out.

Sorry for posting false info.
    -Chris

OK, I just tried it out and you were correct on that, Chris- it worked fine when I increased the polyphony above 1. Seems a bit strange given Skysaw's reply, but nonetheless, it works. It's also strange that I've had this issue with only this sample. I attempted to troubleshoot in many different ways including reloading the sample, varying the notation, tweaking settings and so on but this is the only fix that has worked.

I probably would have been able to resolve it on my own had I known that, in the Kontakt Player, I needed to left-click on the value and drag my mouse. Can that be any less obvious?

Thanks for the help!

Skysaw is correct. The tongue/slur function will only work as designed when the polyphony is set to "1." In my opinion this feature is too important to give up. Articulation errors are second only to breathing space placement as the most common mis-step in wind instrument simulation.

I just did a test of rapid tongued notes using the flute V and had no difficulty getting them to speak properly at speeds that were far beyond the normal comfort zone of a flute player - as long as the velocities were not too low. If you are having problems try raising the velocity (attack strength) of the problem notes. This is the sort of thing that is very intuitive if you are playing from a keyboard and can be easy to overlook in notation. If this doesn't solve the problem perhaps you could put up an example for examination.

Tom

The temporary fix seemed to work on the small piece that I was working on but now I'm running into the same problem with a number of other instruments and changing the polyphony has no effect. I was able to get the trumpet to stop doing it when I put it on it's own audio track, oddly, but that only worked in that one case.

Is it possible that my soundcard is inadequate? It's an old Soundblaster Live Value, I think. What soundcards have you folks had the best success with using GPO?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by gerky
    It's an old Soundblaster Live Value, I think.
    I have used an old SB Live on my old machine. I had best success with the MME drivers with that card. Some users have tried the ASIO4ALL drivers with success, but they did not work for me. It is quite possible that the soundcard is causing some of your difficulties.

What soundcards have you folks had the best success with using GPO?
    Several GPO-sters use the M-Audio 2496 with success, and it's inexpensive. I can't vouch for it, though.

Also, here is the Sonar .cwp project file along with it
    I'm not sure what you intended to demonstrate with the project file. I loaded it into S5 and it plays as written. It looks like you wrote the passage directly into SONAR, rather than playing from a keyboard.

1. If you want the passage to play legato, you must use CC#64 (value 128) immediately after the 1st note in a legato passage, and a CC#64 (value 0) immediately after the start of the last note in the legato passage.

2. The note velocities (all 100) are too high for a proper legato passage reduce them substantially, say to 30-40 for starters.

3. Overlap the notes slightly. You can do this easily in SONAR by selecting the notes in the legato passage and using "Process | Length", set them to about 105% length or so.

You will get superior results by playing the passage from a keyboard rather than writing directly into SONAR. The imprecision of actually playing the passages, the natural variations in velocity from note to note, and the natural overlapping of notes when playing legato from the keyboard produce a quite natural sound, which is extremely difficult to accomplish otherwise.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp

1. If you want the passage to play legato, you must use CC#64 (value 128) immediately after the 1st note in a legato passage, and a CC#64 (value 0) immediately after the start of the last note in the legato passage.

nudge nudge
    if the low value is 0, shouldn't the high value be 127?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy

nudge nudge
    if the low value is 0, shouldn't the high value be 127?
    Yep. You're right.
    Bill

Go Back to forum