• Register
  • Help

Topic: stylus rmx, edit groups and chaos

Share/Bookmark

stylus rmx, edit groups and chaos

hi all,
    as a newbie stylus rmx customer this is my first post in this forum. i'm italian so please excuse my bad writing.
    i have a question about edit groups: it seems to me (viewing video tutorials) that could be possible to make an edit group containing (for example) only the snares slices of a groove, then in chaos designer act only on the snare group. i tried and altough the group is well designed (solo, mute works well) when i try to make some variations with chaos i hear variations on the kick too, even if i mute the kick group. it's a misunderstanding of mine how the combination of the two techniques works?
    thanks a lot.

Re: stylus rmx, edit groups and chaos

That's right. If you choose your snare edit group from the edit group menu before making your chaos edits, they will apply to only the snare edit group.

- Glenn

That's how i understand from the tutorial. In practice i hear variations that sound with the other drum pieces in the groove even if i mute all other groups, included main. In chaos I try to move the pattern and repeat faders only.

Right, but what does Pattern do? It replaces the slice of the specified edit group with other slices. So, your snare slices will be replaced with other slices from the groove. Try using chaos controls other than Pattern and you'll see that only the snares are affected.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    Right, but what does Pattern do? It replaces the slice of the specified edit group with other slices. So, your snare slices will be replaced with other slices from the groove. Try using chaos controls other than Pattern and you'll see that only the snares are affected.

- Glenn
    first of all thanks to GlennO for replying but... maybe i'm thick so i put here a little video of what i mean if someone has enough patience to watch it.
    in the video i prepare a group for the snares in a groove but when i solo it and play in chaos you can clearly hear hi-hat and subkick hits altough i move just the repeat slider.
    of course i know we use to name 'fool' who looks for rules in chaos!

Repeat replaces the slices in the selected edit group with the preceding slice, causing it to repeat. In your case, the snares will be replaced with the preceding slice in the groove, which is not a snare.

A better demonstration example for your point would be reverse. Turn that up and you'll see that only the snares have the reverse applied to them.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    Repeat replaces the slices in the selected edit group with the preceding slice, causing it to repeat. In your case, the snares will be replaced with the preceding slice in the groove, which is not a snare.

A better demonstration example for your point would be reverse. Turn that up and you'll see that only the snares have the reverse applied to them.

- Glenn
    as a natural consequence to that i'm going to add to my wish list, for the next rmx version, a chaos feature that allows adding groove variations of a particular slice through edit groups. thanks Glenn

Go Back to forum