• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lookin' to expand...

Share/Bookmark

Red face Lookin' to expand...

Yo!

So I have GPO. Buying it was a no-brainer, at the time - about a year ago. People said, "You're new? Get GPO." I was new, so I got GPO. No regrets. It's taught me so much... and I'm still learning. A fantastic little library.

But people started to take note of my hobby, and I started getting gigs. Tiny ones. But it's begun to pick up steam...

I think I need to expand. I'm not sure why, though - which is never a good reason to plunk down significant green on a new library.

But, for instance - I own Prominy's LPC and Bela D's LD. Not because I necessarily feel one is better than the other - but because I get different feelings from them, and I coax different emotions out of their sounds. They do two separate things for me, aurally.

I think I feel that way about GPO... and need to add to my palette. But I'm not sure where to go. GPO can do full symphonic stuff, sure... but its forte (no pun...) is really in smaller chamber stuff, I think. I have squeezed gigantic-sounding cues out of GPO, but it was hard and has led me to believe that GPO is not really a Hollywood lib. Which isn't a bad thing.

Of course, I might just be doing something wrong.

All the same, I kinda wanna pick up a complementary library. One that works well in conjunction with GPO, rather than as a replacement.

I've gotten used to the GPO workflow, however, and don't know what to expect as far as MIDI programming requirements, from another library...

But I guess I'm looking for a big sound that is easier to achieve than with GPO.

Also, a weird thing about me... I'm all for using different libraries to fill specific niches, and get them all co-existing alongside one another... but it bugs me when I only own part of a given company's library. I.e., taking just the winds, or just the percussion... I dunno. If all the sections are there, I wanna get 'em all!

Which kills any chance for VSL's stuff... too much damn money.

I was leaning towards Miroslav, but... a bit too soft for what I'm seeking. Not enough PUNCH!

Maybe one of the other "budget libraries?" KH, for instance?

A few months ago I would never have been doing so much contemplation and would have made a grab for EW Plat (still sort of my first choice if I do decide to expand), but all the horrible backlash against that company's customer support of late kind of has me running scared and has left me a little nebulous concerning the quality and potential of their library.

Which is odd, because every film composer I've met (30 in my life, from a wide range of film and TV backgrounds) use EW. ALL OF THEM!! Without question. I mean, the few I asked didn't even seem to know about VSL's existence.

And EW Plat would seem to fit the bill... an entire library, very affordable (for a big pro package, compared to VSL anyway)... the big, thunderous Hollywood sound (unlike GPO, generally speaking), built-in reverb (unlike GPO). Stuff like that. Not necessarily filling holes in GPO, but taking the sound in a different direction, using different recording/programming techniques.

Blast. I've rambled on again.

Look - has anybody ever felt the way I'm feeling?! I feel like I'm missing something in my sound arsenal, but I can't pinpoint it. I think it's just a lack of all around, good ol' fashioned bombastic over-the-top hugeness. Where ought I to turn?!

-Tom

Re: Lookin' to expand...

Perhaps EW Gold would be a better alternative. Plat requires some serious hardware.

Cant say Ive had any problems with tech support either, they've been right on the case the few times I've had issues.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Re: Lookin' to expand...

I think I feel that way about GPO... and need to add to my palette. But I'm not sure where to go. GPO can do full symphonic stuff, sure... but its forte (no pun...) is really in smaller chamber stuff, I think. I have squeezed gigantic-sounding cues out of GPO, but it was hard and has led me to believe that GPO is not really a Hollywood lib.
    Before we get a litany of posts that rush to this thread to say "yeah, GPO is no good for Hollywood scoring" check out "Heading West" on my demo page - the full cue. It ranges from a small bass clarinet and percussion opener to the full she-bang and pays it off handsomly. There's no other library that can pull off legato solo passages *and* take you to full tutti with enough power that you've got to use a multi-band compressor to keep it under control.

As for "which library" to go to next - my advice is to wait for GPO Advanced - you won't be sorry.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum