• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please Comment On New Instrumental Progressive Electronic Rock Piece

Share/Bookmark

Please Comment On New Instrumental Progressive Electronic Rock Piece

Well, its been about a year since my least piece. I would appreciate if you would listen and comment on my new piece: Interlockin'. I will use the comments in finalizing the mix. Please note that it is only about 4:30 long, even though it says 6 minutes. That will get corrected when I do the final mix and have it mastered.

Here is the link:www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness

I think of the genre as progressive electronic rock, inspired by Rush and J.S. Bach, but I don't really try to make it sound like Rush or Bach.

Here are some of the synths/libraries used:

WusikStation 2
    Atmosphere
    Lyrical Distortion 1 and 2 (one through Simanalog Suite JCM 900 and another part through Boogex Amp Sim)(and using Brian's multis)
    Prominy LPC (distorted)(no effects except chorus)
    Atmosphere
    Drumkit From Hell 2
    Broomstick Bass
    z3ta+ (Virus)
    PMI Carillon
    Vintaudio Yamaha C7
    RealGuitar
    Bela Diva Collection
    GPO (snare)

Please let me know your thoughts, especially about the mix. I can handle criticism.

Bonus question: pick out the part using Lyrical Distortion 2

Thanks for listening and commenting.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Please Comment On New Instrumental Progressive Electronic Rock Piece

Nudge, nudge . . . . bump.

jeffn1

Okay, okay, I know you want another bonus question:

Locate the RealGuitar part in the piece.

(I know there is no prize for answering right, but you get the satisfaction of knowing you did a good job ).
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Thumbs up Re: Please Comment On New Instrumental Progressive Electronic Rock Piece

Well I like it!

I have a few nitpicks though. First, next time you want to post a demo (or even this time), you should email the tune to me and I will throw it up on my web space for you (if you don’t have any). The reason is that I had to register to listen to it (unless I missed something). A lot of folks might not want to take the time to do this or might not do it for various other reasons and will pass it up. That would be a drag.
    As to the music, I like the composition quite a lot so you nailed the hard part but the arrangement and mix need a little work in my opinion - (keep in mind though that I am the world’s worst engineer as Frank will gladly confirm for you ). The bass riff you got going on is wonderful – maybe you should double that riff with a nice distorted guitar (single notes) and even kick it up an octave near the end – then back down. The guitars are buried so far back that it mostly sounds like a wire is loose somewhere - too much treble and not enough tone- – fatten those up man – more tone! Also, I don’t care much for the vox type patch you have going for the melody – if you use that, have it going in back of a nice lead guitar playing it! The snare drum thing with the crunchy guitars (like at the beginning) is really cool – just needs more crunchy guitars! And make ‘em nasty!

Nice work Jeff! I think it just needs a few tweaks in the mix and changes in the arrangement.
    BTW, where’d you get the broomstick bass?

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks for those comments, Brian! Food for thought, that's for sure.

I am sort of "friends" with Sven Bornemark (a very nice, talented guy). I used to use VG and VG EE extensively for guitar parts before I got LD, etc. He has a couple of my pieces posted on the VG website and I have mailed him US magazines with reviews of his software, etc. So, he was nice enough to send me an NFR for Broomstick Bass (I paid retail for VG and VG EE).

I really am not a loop guy, but I like the fingered Fender Jazz Bass better than the Plucked Bass from Kurzweil K2000, which I had been using.

I am not sure about the guitars. I had them louder in a prior mix and I thought I liked them less up front. Anyone else wish to chime in?

You insights are very much appreciated (and respected).

jeffn1

Here is a bump to encourage comments.

[Brian, I am playing with you idea of having the beginning lead part played by heavy guitar too]

jeffn1

Sorry to keep bumping this (especially considering the lack of interest and/or desire not to register with Soundclick), but, for those interested, a new version is up. I created a second guitar tracked panned to the other side and EQ'd it to bring out more mids/lows. I dialed in more low end on the bass, reduced the snare and Carillon slightly, as well some other tweaks in considered response to some comments.

Remember, its not 6 minutes long, but only about 4 1/2 minutes.

[Brian, I played with you other idea about having the guitars lead the solo lines, but I was not happy with it (and perhaps I am not quite as much a guitar head as you are)]

Take care.

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Sorry to keep bumping this (especially considering the lack of interest and/or desire not to register with Soundclick), but, for those interested, a new version is up.
    Hi Jeff,
    I like this song (I'm a big fan of progressive rock ), there are some good
    ideas and I like the way you've arranged it.

What I'm missing a little bit is the general 'punch' with some instruments,
    it sounds like everything's playing a little bit to far in the background, it
    doesn't 'bite' if you know what I mean.

I'll check it again when I'm at home (I'm now listening whith the el cheapo
    headphone at work).
    Regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Crowning
    Hi Jeff,
    I like this song (I'm a big fan of progressive rock ), there are some good
    ideas and I like the way you've arranged it.

What I'm missing a little bit is the general 'punch' with some instruments,
    it sounds like everything's playing a little bit to far in the background, it
    doesn't 'bite' if you know what I mean.

I'll check it again when I'm at home (I'm now listening whith the el cheapo
    headphone at work).
    Regards,
    Tom
    Thanks, Tom. I am looking forward to additional comments. If you think more punch with some intruments would be helpful, I would also love a suggestion on how to get there. (as you can hear, there are a lot of things going on, so hearing all the different parts has been a priority).

jeffn1

Hi Jeffrey, interesting piece, but I have to support the above statements that more punch is needed, and that the lead synth sound is... ehm... horrible. Basically, I would really think about a different lead sound if I was you... right now, it gives the song this cheesy 80s synth-pop feeling (I hope you are not offended by this statement, but that's what I thought when listening to it - sounded a bit like 80s computer games and action film music, and that thought is certainly triggered by the synth sound). Why don't you use a mean lead guitar instead?

Regarding more punch: Basically, I think you could get more punch by simply throwing out that synth sound - and especially the sustaining pad part of it (do you use a doubled synth sound here? sounds like a pad that is backing the lead synth), because this clutters the arrangement very much. Then I would record everything as dry as possible; the more reverb, the less punchy. And, as said above: more power to these rhythm guitars! Right now, they are still too thin and weak sounding in most parts... (listen to the latest Porcupine Tree recordings... now they have great guitar sounds in there, and the rhythm guitar is very prominent in their recordings).

Anyway, I hope you don't mind my open comments, but usually, I find criticism more helpful than the guys that always say "great"...

In addition to agreeing with the above comments, I'd like to discuss the drums. If I'm hearing it correctly, the part you've sequenced is not playable by a human drummer. You've got 16th notes on the high hat, while at the same time you've got that two handed march pattern going on the snare drum--that's four hands right there.

Go Back to forum