• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Has anyone of ever ...

Share/Bookmark

Question Has anyone of youz ever ...

accomplish the magnitude of sound presented in Holst The Planets "Uranus" using any of the orchestra libraries at your disposal? I believe Franceso did "Mars", yes?
    I ordered the full score and understand it calls for doubling of many instruments, true?
    Later.
    Styxx

Re: Has anyone of ever ...

Where did you order the score?
    I'm working on Venus now, which I'm sure I'll never finish.
    But I would like to see the Venus score.
    Thanks.

Can't wait to see Uranus, Styxx!

(couldn't resist )

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphal
    Can't wait to see Uranus, Styxx!

(couldn't resist )
    Eeewwww! That was a stinker!
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Thumbs up Re: Has anyone of ever ...

BTW, the Dover Miniature Score for The Planets is only 5.95.
    Yes, and they offer Full Score all seven movements although there seems to be a price discrepancy with Dover. On page has the score at $14.00 and another from Dover has it at $10.
    I ordered the full score of all seven movements. From what I was told (and this is hard to believe) this IS NOT a miniature.
    The real challenge would lay in rendering “Neptune” with its “Non Lyrical Vocals” for chorus.
    BTW – I left myself open for a lot of Uranus digs!
    Styxx

Hey Styxx, take a look at the other Dover scores, too. They "full" ones are really huge and well done. I own about 15 of them. They are perfect for studying purposes.

Actually I am working my way through the Dover score of Stravinsky's "Rite of the spring" on a bar-for-bar basis. It already took me months of studying, and I am not even halfway through.... Much to learn from there.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Thumbs up Re: Has anyone of ever ...

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hey Styxx, take a look at the other Dover scores, too. They "full" ones are really huge and well done. I own about 15 of them. They are perfect for studying purposes.

Actually I am working my way through the Dover score of Stravinsky's "Rite of the spring" on a bar-for-bar basis. It already took me months of studying, and I am not even halfway through.... Much to learn from there.
    Yes, but money is tight!
    Bar for Bar? How about phrase for phrase? Score study can be actually quite exciting! It supports your studies and strengthens your musical confidence! Yes, I will be ordering more when the time is right.
    Will you be sharing and renderings of Stravinsky? I think I have a collection of Time Life recordings on vinyl and Stravinsky is in the collection. I really should copy them to CD.
    Have fun!
    Styxx

I have actually done the complete Planets. I did not stick entirely to GPO instruments, though, because it lacks certain things (tenor tuba for instance) and col legno strings in Mars, also the women's voices in Neptune. But I did it, quite well, and sent Gary a CD of it. It's a lot of work. Don't attempt it all unless you've got the necessary instruments. But Venus can be done entirely in GPO.

Terry

I've loved "The Planets" ever since we played Mars in High School (symphonic band arrangement, but still it was a blast). I would love to hear a GPO version!
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Eeewwww! That was a stinker!
    He said "see", not "smell". And the topic was more about "hearing". Hmm, equally disturbing!

Rob

Go Back to forum