• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: New Intel Mac`s released

Share/Bookmark

OT: New Intel Mac`s released

Looks like the New Intel Mac`s released.
    But no Intel version of PowerMac`s yet.
    http://www.apple.com/hardware/

I wonder how much time it will take the
    software developers (MOTU, NI, IK Multimedia etc) to
    make there software compatible with Intel Mac`s.
    I guess Logic Pro would be the first one to make it
    compatible since its an Apple product.
    MOTU and NI are really slow so maybe next year :P

Re: OT: New Intel Mac`s released

This is the main reason why I gave DP the boot years ago when it took them forever to get with the OS X program and happily embraced Logic Pro.

Logic will more than likely get an update in March making it fully compatible with the Intel macs....not that I really care (at least not until Intel towers come out).

Digidesign is just as bad about these kinds of things, it will be next year before Pro Tools is up to speed.

As far as NI stuff, I hope that they have already started porting their apps to Universal Binaries.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

They probably won't call them PowerMacs. The laptop is called a MacBook.

Dumb, because PowerBook has become like hoovering, bic, and pro tools.

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    This is the main reason why I gave DP the boot years ago when it took them forever to get with the OS X program and happily embraced Logic Pro.

Logic will more than likely get an update in March making it fully compatible with the Intel macs....not that I really care (at least not until Intel towers come out).

Digidesign is just as bad about these kinds of things, it will be next year before Pro Tools is up to speed.

As far as NI stuff, I hope that they have already started porting their apps to Universal Binaries.
    Yeah, I heard that theres a Universal version of Logic coming up.
    They`re really fast! But sadly, MOTU and NI are the opposite.
    Look at Kontakt. Its taking them a long time to release an update
    so I guess it would take them at least a year for them to release
    a universal version of there softwares. (2007 ?)
    Maybe I should switch to Logic when the Intel towers are released...
    Or get a Quad when the Intel Tower Mac`s are out,
    because the price may drop for the Quad`s.(Just a guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    They probably won't call them PowerMacs. The laptop is called a MacBook.

Dumb, because PowerBook has become like hoovering, bic, and pro tools.
    PowerBook > Mac Book Pro
    PowerMacintosh > Mac Macintosh Pro :P

ok, seriously I`m guessing it would be called,
    "Macintosh Pro" or "Intel Macintosh Pro".
    Or may be Macintosh -The Two Towers- ..... ok, I know I`m not funny :P

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    Looks like the New Intel Mac`s released.
    But no Intel version of PowerMac`s yet.
    http://www.apple.com/hardware/

I wonder how much time it will take the
    software developers (MOTU, NI, IK Multimedia etc) to
    make there software compatible with Intel Mac`s.
    I guess Logic Pro would be the first one to make it
    compatible since its an Apple product.
    MOTU and NI are really slow so maybe next year :P
    I bet it will take them at least as long as it will take Apple to come up with the first revision of the new Intelmacs.

Hans

Keep in mind that not only your host will need updating, but EVERY single third party plug-in you own as well on every plug-in platform (VST/RTAS/AU etc)

Even if the host is native coded, the plug-ins that run in the host have to be native coded as well.

It will take quite a while for all plug-in companies to catch up to this with all their products...it's not always an easy thing to do...retrofitting a whole product line.

From our side, Spectrasonics is committed to getting our instruments to MacIntel land, but currently none of our products will run in a native-coded host app and it will take some time to get there.

MacIntel is esentially a new computer platform that looks and acts like a Mac, and has an Intel processor....but isn't exactly what we've come to know as either a Mac or a PC.

It will be cool for the future of the Mac....but expect a long transition to get to current G5 level compatability and access to instruments, etc. It won't be anywhere near as seamless a transition as any of us in the audio world would like it to be....unless the only app you use is Logic with no third party plugs.

Just a heads tp :-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    I bet it will take them at least as long as it will take Apple to come up with the first revision of the new Intelmacs.

Hans
    Looks like I`ll have to buy a G5 Quad before I switch to
    Intel Mac`s. I heard that Intel OSX has "Rosetta", that lets you
    run Motorola Mac (G4`s, G5`s etc.) Applications on Intel Mac`s.
    But I don`t think I should rely on that for heavy sample playback
    usage, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    It will take quite a while for all plug-in companies to catch up to this with all their products...it's not always an easy thing to do...retrofitting a whole product line.
    Yeah, this is a nightmare.... Especially for users using
    NI software. It`ll take them a VERY long time
    And also third-party sequencers.

From our side, Spectrasonics is committed to getting our instruments to MacIntel land, but currently none of our products will run in a native-coded host app and it will take some time to get there.
    I`m guessing that Spectrasonics would be one of the fastest
    companies to get there

Why does everyone think the conversions will take so long? It isn't as if the audio software developers couldn't start the Intel transition until today. Intel-based OS X development machines have been available for a year now, and at a ridiculously low Apple-subsidized price, too.

In truth, the Macintels that were released today weren't the first Intel-based Macs, just the first Intel-based Macs available to the public.

I heard that the Apple Pro applications (Logic, Final Cut, etc.) won't run on the new Intel Macs even with Rosetta, which means you'd have to wait until March when the universal versions of those programs come out. Anybody know if there is any truth to that?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Things change, and fast. The move to OSX was painful for DP users, and obviously Logic had a leg up. But in the last year or two, MOTU has really gotten their act together. Their tech support is miles better than it used to be (not saying much, I know), and the updates come often enough. When Panther was released, MOTU had compatible drivers available that day. Today, they announced a driver package for the new Macintels, to be had at the end of the month.

I'm running DP 4.6 on a Dual 2.5 G5 and it's the most solid setup I've used. Mind you, I'm not trying to get involved in another sequencer debate. I just think it's worth noting that MOTU has come around since those tenuous days years ago.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast