• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Triton Extreme vs. Fantom Vs. MotifES8

Share/Bookmark

Triton Extreme vs. Fantom Vs. MotifES8

Hi all:

I was wondering whether I could tap your collective know-how to help a friend who is looking at these three workstations. She really needs to be able to work with the keyboard she buys in her studio and then export her settings/sounds so that she can perform live in Europe (where they will provide her with the same model keyboard for each performance). The type of music is experimental/orchestral. Piano is driving a lot of the pieces

So having said that, how would you rate the three (or maybe an alternative in the same pricerange) based on:

1) Ability to import sample libraries (e.g. PMI Bos290; miroslav; Kirk Hunter; samples generated by Reaktor etc.)

2) "On-board" piano sound and action

3) "On-board" orchestral sounds

4) Ability to export her settings to another identical keyboard.

Of course this may be silly (i.e., I suggested she lug her laptop and use Kontakt/Reaktor for some of the sounds but she does not feel comfortable playing live with a laptop for reliability....)

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

cheers

gspin

Re: Triton Extreme vs. Fantom Vs. MotifES8

I have the Fantom X, with the Perfect Piano V. Its the nicest sounding hardware piano I've ever heard. How-ever importing and converting into it is a bit of a headache.

I have a Triton Classic. It's a great board. The touchscreen changes everything. Check out the Orchestral board for the Triton.

I would suggest that your friend run a Muse Receptor and a MIDI controller. That's definitely the way to go for what you are describing.

http://www.museresearch.com/

Yeah, Muse Receptor is probably a smarter choice, as you can put your own ideal sounds from highend libraries on there, without having to pay for all the crappy sounds you probably will never use on a workstation. Today's sample libraries have sounds that far surpassed the quality of included workstation presets (acoustic insturments). For synth stuff, the hardware workstations are still damn good though.

Your friend is going to have to try each instrument and decide. But for a killer piano rig on the road, I'd say that Receptor can't be beat. GPO can be loaded on the Receptor. Their sampled Steinway is hard to beat. Pick up one of the CME controllers and your friend could be done.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Hmmm... very interesting!!!

I know she is on a mac platform (uses Kontakt, East West Gold, Reaktor and various plug-ins with DP4.52 normally) Would she be able to port those plugs over into the Receptor?

BTW, how much is it?

many thanks for the replies

gspin

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    ....But for a killer piano rig on the road, I'd say that Receptor can't be beat. GPO can be loaded on the Receptor. Their sampled Steinway is hard to beat. Pick up one of the CME controllers and your friend could be done.
    Hmmm... I checked out their website, but I didn't see reference to a Steinway in the list of plug-ins that come with Receptor. Am I missing something?

cheers

gspin

Quote Originally Posted by gspin
    Hmmm... I checked out their website, but I didn't see reference to a Steinway in the list of plug-ins that come with Receptor. Am I missing something?

cheers

gspin
    I think he was referring to the piano in GPO. I use the one in East West's silver orch for pop stuff all the time (Logic + Powerbook).

How about a combination of Receptor with one of the above?

It will be a tough call in any case. One more element will be how easily she will be able to have the organizers rent the keyboard in Europe (France, Italy, Germany...) and then dump her settings onto the rented keyboard....

cheers

gspin

Go Back to forum