• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It is now a criminal offense to annoy someone

Share/Bookmark

It is now a criminal offense to annoy someone

This news.com article outlines a law just passed making it a criminal offense to "annoy" someone via email, forum postings, etc., with a maximum of 2 years imprisonment. Thought those of you living in the U.S. would want to know about it.

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...l?tag=fd_carsl
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Talking Re: It is now a criminal offense to annoy someone

Geezzz, I must have accumulated frequent annoyance miles!
    By the way, my name is really Morgan Fairchild but you can call me Michael Salamone. Ofcourse, there are more of me than meets the eye!

Big Brother is at it again ... How annoying!

Hey Chris! When you getting Howard Stern to do some shows?
    (will that get me 2 years?)
    Styxx

Re: It is now a criminal offense to annoy someone

I notice that their previous efforts have already worked effectively with the SPAMERs .... right ???

It's all wonderful ... now I can participate in forums and email conversations without ever expressing an opinion or having any personal views.

I'm finally safe.

- atonal

What I find entertaining is that the goal of this legistlation could also be accomplished in another, less intrusive, manner.

Simply create an environment where courtesy, kindness and consideration are the expected (and rewarded) norms. The Garritan forums are proof positive that this concept works quite nicely in the real world.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    This news.com article outlines a law just passed making it a criminal offense to "annoy" someone via email, forum postings, etc., with a maximum of 2 years imprisonment. Thought those of you living in the U.S. would want to know about it.
    For me as a non U.S. citizen is this posting extremely annoying
    damn, embedding images doesn't work...

I'm going to end up in prison for life.

This is GREAT! So who do we call, the FBI or what? I've got a long list of people I need to report.

You know who you are!!!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...l?tag=fd_carsl
    http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2...tml#1136876331

"... Skeptical readers will be shocked, shocked to know that the truth is quite different. First, a little background. The new law amends 47 U.S.C. 223, the telecommunications harassment statute that goes back to the Communications Act of 1934. For a long time, Section 223 has had a provision prohibiting anonymous harassing speech using a telephone. 47 U.S.C. 223(a)(1)(C) states that

[whoever] makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications device, whether or not conversation or communication ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who receives the communications . . . shall be [punished].

Seems pretty broad, doesn't it? Well, there's a hook. It turns out that the statute can only be used when prohibiting the speech would not violate the First Amendment. If speech is protected by the First Amendment, the statute is unconstitutional as applied and the indictment must be dismissed. An example of this is United States v. Popa, 187 F.3d 672 (D.C. Cir. 1999). ..."

Et Cetera.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

A frustrated citizen wants to send e-mail describing corruption in local government without worrying about reprisals.
    ust what it's REALLY about - a way to control those who would dare to disagree with the Shrub and buds... Attacks on our freedom of speech are the next most important executive branch targets. If you aren't allowed to complain about your mistreatment, then is it really mistreatment? Or just some loser whining about the government boot on the neck?

Will be declared unconstitutional in the current court, but if Alito gets in, it will be legal, because it's what the Shrub wants.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lindsley
    I'm going to end up in prison for life.
    Gosh, howdy, cellmate... lol.

Go Back to forum