• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXS in ProTools

Share/Bookmark

EXS in ProTools

A thought just occurred to me, and I wonder if anyone is doing this.

Can one buy the Kompakt player from Native Instruments and use it to play EXS files as an RTAS plug-in? Would it also work with more complicated samples like VSL performance instruments? Should one instead buy Kontakt 2 for the increased functionally? (Price difference is $220 vs. $450).

Is this one of those no-brainer things I should have figured out years ago, or is it somehow problematic and should be avoided?

Thanks,
    JD

Re: EXS in ProTools

I think that no matter how good the translation is, you always lose something when you go from format to format, including in some cases the more exotic and fun programming portions that make the instruments a joy to play on the platform they were intended for.

If this doesn't bother you then go right ahead. Chances are you shouldn't have any major issues with the basic programs.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm going with the Kontakt 2, not Kompakt. I figure the bigger library and the chance to learn scripting make it worth the extra $200. I will still use EXS in Logic. Once in a while I need a specific instrument in ProTools quickly, and this will allow me to do that. I can also convert all of our old Akai libraries, of which we have many GB's -- I've already spent weeks converting them to EXS.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by dackl
    A thought just occurred to me, and I wonder if anyone is doing this.

Can one buy the Kompakt player from Native Instruments and use it to play EXS files as an RTAS plug-in? Would it also work with more complicated samples like VSL performance instruments? Should one instead buy Kontakt 2 for the increased functionally? (Price difference is $220 vs. $450).

Is this one of those no-brainer things I should have figured out years ago, or is it somehow problematic and should be avoided?

Thanks,
    JD
    there is a plugin wrapper 'Ugly vsti' (free to download at KVR/KRV audio) which allows you to load in VSTi into pro tools os9 but i haven't tried it yet. good luck

Go Back to forum