• Register
  • Help

Topic: What computer specs do a I need re speed, power, mem- to run full big band seemlessly

Share/Bookmark

Question What computer specs do a I need re speed, power, mem- to run full big band seemlessly

Tom
    JABB is great but I realize I'm going to have to upgrade my computer in order to run large or complex charts (even with lite instruments)--I currently have a G4 laptop--clearly inaddequate.
    I was planning to upgrade anyway because I want to be able to start learning about film scoring and writing music for TV etc.
    My question is, if I stay with the Mac platform (which I would prefer to do) what computer specs do I need in order to be sure I could run the most demanding charts I can envision doing i.e. a large studio orchestra chart (big band augmented by strings and woodwinds/brass with some orchestral percussion).
    Would the latest G5 dual processor machine with say 4 gig of ram do it? Is there reason to wait until the intel driven Macs are released? Will I get better performance and options if I run a PC chained to a Mac?
    I appreciate your response-thanks.
    Jazztao

Re: What computer specs do a I need re speed, power, mem- to run full big band seemlessly

Hi Tom,
    I confirm that you'll have to upgrade your computer because I have a dual mac G5 2Ghz with 2Go RAM and, if I can load a full big band, I have some CPU problems even the dual processor.
    I agree that the mac is more easy to use, but, it seems that it may be short with it's power. I don't know so much the P.C. world except the fact that there's always a lot of problems and crashes (many of my friends quit PC to buy an apple for this reason.
    Despite the CPU problems I have while playing the full orchestra, I'm quite hapy with my machine.
    Hopping this will help
    Regards
    Laurent
    On mac G 5 2x2,5 Ghz, 2,5 Go RAM

Go Back to forum