• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Be Careful Who You Annoy

Share/Bookmark

Be Careful Who You Annoy

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Bush has just signed a law that says we can be put in jail for annoying someone on the Internet:

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...2491&subj=news
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: Be Careful Who You Annoy

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Bush has just signed a law that says we can be put in jail for annoying someone on the Internet:

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...2491&subj=news
    Now rob...since the legislature makes the laws (that have to pass both houses of congress)...why didn't you direct that statement at them? Just curious.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    Now rob...since the legislature makes the laws (that have to pass both houses of congress)...why didn't you direct that statement at them? Just curious.
    Brian, that statement annoys the hell out of me, but since you're using your real name you're on the right side of the law. ;-)

...the rest of us though, who are "anonymous", are in big trouble! Be careful folks...the only ones here who can now risk annoying Brian are Nick and Bruce! ;-)

Actually I wish they WOULD do something EFFECTIVE against "annoying" spam...I've noticed no difference from the last law passed. I've already gotten rid of my "land line" phone because of annoying commercial calls (thankfully not appearing on cell phones yet)...I guess soon I'll give up on email and go to carrier pigeons.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Yep:
    Sensenbrener was sponsor of this bill.

And the other 19 co-sponsors.
    Rep Bachus, Spencer [AL-6]
    Rep Brown-Waite, Ginny [FL-5]
    Rep Cannon, Chris [UT-3]
    Rep Coble, Howard [NC-6]
    Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14]
    Rep Gibbons, Jim [NV-2]
    Rep Gohmert, Louie [TX-1]
    Rep Green, Mark [WI-8]
    Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18]
    Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16]
    Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8]
    Rep Poe, Ted [TX-2]
    Rep Pryce, Deborah [OH-15]
    Rep Sanchez, Linda T. [CA-39]
    Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29]
    Rep Scott, Robert C. [VA-3]
    Rep Solis, Hilda L. [CA-32]
    Rep Waters, Maxine [CA-35]
    Rep Weiner, Anthony D. [NY-9]

The sponsor was Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner [R-WI]. Why didn't you direct your statement at him, Brian?

The "why didn't you" game is always a weak tactic.

BTW, Rob maintained the same direction as the first paragraph in the article.

(Of course, his real motivation is that Bush is a weenie head.)

-JF

Hey, even the Whitehouse highlighted Bush's signing of the bill - twice:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0060105-3.html

They didn't mention Congress, Sensenbrenner or anybody else. Both the Whitehouse and Rob are doing PR for Bush!

-JF

Actually, you can only get in trouble for annonymously annoying someone, so if I tell them my name, I can annoy the hell outta anybody I want. But I honestly don't see how the term "annoy" could really hold up it court, it's pretty vague...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The sponsor was Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner [R-WI]. Why didn't you direct your statement at him, Brian?

The "why didn't you" game is always a weak tactic.

BTW, Rob maintained the same direction as the first paragraph in the article.

-JF
    That's not really where the target is either Jon. The bill (called the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act)...was passed by a voice vote in the house and UNANIMOUSLY by the senate on Dec 16th according to the article. That means both Republicans AND Democrats voted for this bill to pass it. Also...it was "Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure." (All taken directly from the arrticle).

But...I thought Specter was a Republican the Dems liked??? But rob made no mention of him. The original bill from Sensenbrenner did not have this little provision. So...if you are unhappy with the legislature for passing it...I would say that a lot of the blame goes to Arlen Specter for leading the move to sneak it into a bill that would be political suicide to vote against.

Which against leads me to the conclusion that...I see this more as politics as usual in Washington rather than "evil Bush...destroying America's freedoms" crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst
    Exactly my point really. But the reason it is there in the first place has nothing to do with Bush. If Bush refused to sign the bill on the grounds that putting this line into the bill at the last minute was wrong...you know the headline would have read "Bush says violence agaisnt women OK"...or something along those lines.

Damned if you do...damned it you don't basically.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    All I said was Bush signed the law. I think anyone with a brain would know that congress created and passed that law. At least I would hope so.

Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to bash Bush. That would be too easy.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Good God! I hope the law is not retroactive.

I live to annoy - it's what I do best. I'll take my chances

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast