• Register
  • Help

Topic: Feedback on solo instrument simulations

Share/Bookmark

Post Feedback on solo instrument simulations

All feedback is appreciated. The instruments are clarinet, trumpet, bassoon, french horn and flute (in that order). It's just some improvisation and some short melodies that might be familiar, to that you can make a comparison. Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see improved.

www.f.kth.se/~arwa02/5instruments.mp3

/Arne

Re: Feedback on solo instrument simulations

If I didn't make myself clear, this isn't from some sample library, but from a synth in early development. Since no one has made any comments, I'm putting in some info I wrote for my post at the "other" forum.

Everything is recorded in realtime. No editing, I only cut out some parts that got a bit tedious. There's no latency added or needed by the plugin. The plugin uses practically no cpu, ram, or harddrive space at all, and loads unlimited instances (besides the sequencer limit) in the fraction of a second.

I have a P4 2,8 GHz, it's a couple of years old. I set up 128 instruments playing simultaneously in Cubase, tracks shock full of continous controller messages, and my CPU meter peaked at 25%. It sounded like this:

www.f.kth.se/~arwa02/128instruments.mp3

There has been some optimizing since then, so now it peaks below 20%. I was hoping on getting as much feedback as I can, for further development.

/Arne

Hi Arne!

I'm currently at work, and I don't have speakers here, so I can't listen to it. I'll give it a listen as soon as I go home.

Is that synth something for your personal use, or there will be a commercial release of it? Have you heard of synful? http://www.synful.com/
    Is your project something like that? I am curious

Good luck with the project!

-Dani-

Must have missed this thread! Ok, here goes:

Clarinet: basic tone, very realistic. Legato is smooth. Tonal changes in dynamics is good. There is an overtone that shifts chromatically with each note that gives it away as a simulation. It sounds like a sample being transposed. I don't know if this is sample based but if you fixed that flaw this would be a very convincing sound.

Brass sound 1: Has a good trombone gliss but then becomes a rather non-descript sound. Seems in a weird range, very low for trumpet, very high for bone and obviously playing with vales. Doesn't sound right for flugelhorn. What is it supposed to be?? Attack is very slow, causing effect to be "synthy", though sustain portion of sound has decently good tone.

Bassoon: Little phrase from "Rites" sounds very good! Great legato, musical phrasing, expressive. Excellent sound.

Horn: doesn't sound 100% convincing somehow, but real time phrasing on attacks is impressive. Would probably kill in a mix.

Flute: Has same transposed sample syndrome as clarinet; sounds like a good but typical keyboard patch. Lower notes have nice tone though.

So, my personal not very important opinion- there is some potential here for sure. You seem to be getting some of the better capabilities of Synful hapening in real time, without the need for delay. And the sound of these particular instrmuents is better than Synful, though not 100% yet. I'm very intrigued. Right now I say your biggest flaw is that "transposing a sample" consistency from note to note on certain sounds. Lick that and you have a real eye opener.

And I'd take the bassoon and horn today!

Quote Originally Posted by arwa02
    All feedback is appreciated. The instruments are clarinet, trumpet, bassoon, french horn and flute (in that order). It's just some improvisation and some short melodies that might be familiar, to that you can make a comparison. Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see improved.

www.f.kth.se/~arwa02/5instruments.mp3

/Arne
    I won't go into detail because Fred already summarized everything, but I
    think in general the sounds have all a hard and metallic character.
    Of course this helps a single sound in a mix, but overall it's a little bit
    nerving after you've listened for a couple of minutes.

Anyway, you're on a promising way.
    Tom

Go Back to forum