• Register
  • Help

Topic: CPU Speed vs Memory on laptop for samples

Share/Bookmark

CPU Speed vs Memory on laptop for samples

I've been working on a Toshiba M30 laptop (Pentium M1.4Ghz). It's served me well, but I now have the opportunity to trade it for a Toshiba M60 (Pentium M760 2Ghz).

My old trusted M30 has 2Gb of memory while the new one only has 1GB. I can't transfer the memory or afford new memory, so the choice is basically as is: a slower hi-mem laptop or a faster low-mem laptop. What would you guys go for. I mainly use the laptop for playing samples (piano mainly), some home-recording and some sequencing.

Re: CPU Speed vs Memory on laptop for samples

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat
    I've been working on a Toshiba M30 laptop (Pentium M1.4Ghz). It's served me well, but I now have the opportunity to trade it for a Toshiba M60 (Pentium M760 2Ghz).

My old trusted M30 has 2Gb of memory while the new one only has 1GB. I can't transfer the memory or afford new memory, so the choice is basically as is: a slower hi-mem laptop or a faster low-mem laptop. What would you guys go for. I mainly use the laptop for playing samples (piano mainly), some home-recording and some sequencing.
    I'd remove 1 GB from your current laptop and see how it behaves with
    just 1 GB when you work with your favourite software.

Normaly RAM is more important then processor speed, but if 1GB is still
    enough to hold your samples you'll notice the processor speed.

Go Back to forum