• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bruckner's 3rd Symphony

Share/Bookmark

Bruckner's 3rd Symphony

Anton Bruckner was a shy, humble man. He was also a professor of counterpoint in Vienna, a renowned organist and a composer of monster symphonies (Mahler was a student of his). The fame he sought as a composer eluded him until the twilight of his life partly because he openly admired Richard Wagner and partly because his music was quite avant garde for his time. This is the first movement of his Third Symphony, dedicated to Wagner and known as "The Wagner".

I recently ran across an amusing anecdote concerning the dedication. It seems that Bruckner went to Wagner with his second and third symphonies to let Wagner decide which would bear the dedication. When he arrived at Wagner's residence, a famous sculptor was visiting. After examining the symphonies Wagner chose the third and then broke out the beer and proceded to get his guests trashed. When Bruckner awoke the next morning, having done a sleepover, he was horrified that he could not remember which symphony Wagner liked. Rather than embarass himself by going to Wagner, he asked the sculptor if he remembered who, clearly recalling which it was, toyed with Bruckner for a while before saying "he said something about d minor".

This is my first attempt at Wagnerian brass. Comments welcome, as always. Caveat. I blew my head phones out working on this. Given this is 23 minutes long, you might run an errand or two while it is downloading and pour a glass of your favorite beverage before listening.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Bruckner's 3rd Symphony

Bill,

What a remarkable job. The brass is outstanding, and you have recreated the sensitively in the strings and woodwinds to balance it with impeccable taste.

I’ll treasure this.

Thank you,

Karl

Thumbs up Re: Bruckner's 3rd Symphony

I'ts a titanic job to refine something like that! Brass are very difficoult to render, probably SAM brass of GPOA will be better/easier.

The rest is sometime very nice, and always acceptable. What's your editing tool?

Ciao

Fabio

Brilliant! This is grand! Congratulations on another great work.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Bruckner's symphonies, and this movement is surely no exception, can be a tremendous challenge to conduct, with Bruckner's penchants for sudden shifts, leaving ideas dangling in the air, and rather sparse indications in score as to his exact intentions.

Maestro DeWitt has risen to this challenge, and above it, with a solidly cogent, carefully thought-out, quite original, and very highly successful interpretation of this difficult movement... a lucid vision of the piece with a crystal clarity of intent that, rather than sacrificing emotive power to its Classical roots, elevates Bruckner's deeply spiritual writing by its unflinching honesty.

Bravissimo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Bruckner's symphonies, and this movement is surely no exception, can be a tremendous challenge to conduct, with Bruckner's penchants for sudden shifts, leaving ideas dangling in the air, and rather sparse indications in score as to his exact intentions.

Maestro DeWitt has risen to this challenge, and above it, with a solidly cogent, carefully thought-out, quite original, and very highly successful interpretation of this difficult movement... a lucid vision of the piece with a crystal clarity of intent that, rather than sacrificing emotive power to its Classical roots, elevates Bruckner's deeply spiritual writing by its unflinching honesty.

Bravissimo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    David....Say what ??!! Oh, isn't the English language too beautiful, I just wish I understood half of it . I had to use my web translator on this one, I guess complex pieces need complex comments ...
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Lol... did I forget to mention I really liked what Bill did with this?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Karl Thanks very much. I was hoping for feedback on the brass so I appreciate your comment. Brass are always tough to work with and at fortissimo levels on this scale its even more of a challange.

Fabio Thanks for your listen and comments. I'm really anxious to see what brass surprises GPOA will have.

Louis Thanks for the comments. When I posted the Brahms you asked if Mahler was next. Bruckner is about as close as you can get. lol.

David I'm going to print out your comment and hang it on the wall, lol. Seriously, the brass were the second biggest challenge. Developing a clear vision of this monster was much more difficult. I've listened to this piece my entire life but as I approached it I had to give some serious thought to it. Bruckner's music does not possess the kind continuity that say Bach's does. It is a series of disjoined sections of extreme contrasts, both in dynamics and character. And like you say, he left few clues in the score as to how he wanted it performed. Once I grasp that it was easier bring it to life.
    BTW, thanks for elevating me to Maestro. Do I get a coffee mug or something?

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Coffee mug?

No, but they do give you this pointy stick to go jab the sleeping string players with... lol.

That's definitely worth becoming a conductor for.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Wow!!

Thanks for posting. This is a composition I'm not too familiar with.

After a few measures, I completely forgot I was listening to samples. Everything worked seamlessly!

An enormous undertaking, I couldn't imagine the amount of time it required. (how long?)

An Excellent accomplishment!

jeff

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast