• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does anyone use sound librarians anymore?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone use sound librarians anymore?

Just picked up an Ensoniq VFX off ebay and found a bunch of sounds on the net...However getting the sys ex data from the PC to the VFX is turning into a nightmare...I have one librarian out of three that kind of works but it hasn't been supported since win 98....I didn't realize until just now that librarians are a thing of the past....Do a search and you'll see....I know, why would I want to get a vfx working in such a cool music environment today?...Call it nostalgic and a cheap controller all mixed into one....Moon

Re: Does anyone use sound librarians anymore?

After fooloing around alot with virtual synth/sampler, I've got really bored and recently bought a lot of old synth, i am happy again because virtual synth/sampler will never sound as good as the real thing.
    The same with audio world, plug-ins can never sound as good as hardware [of course the hi-end one]
    I have no problem with sysex, my Jupiter 6 [use tape], Wavestation, D50, MKS50, MKS70, MKS80 really shine!
    DS

Yeah, I like both soft and hardware synths...I sold all the hardware a few years ago and slowly got some of it back because I still like to explore with the push of a button but theres no denying the power of a PC synth/sampler now either! I think I'm finding a happy blend of the two....What are you using to send your sysex data?...Does one program do all?....Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Argitoth
    "the real thing"

What are you talking about? Software synthesizers and samplers may not ever be able to copy hardware, but on the other hand hardware could never exactly copy software.

Software or Hardware, both are the real thing, don't forget that.
    "Real thing" - Try big money on Prophet 5 then compare with Pro53 and you'll know what I mean. The same with FM7, Moog, CS80 and so on ...you want to call it "not a copy" ?
    Software has big advantage over hrardware in features, convinience and it's CHEAP! I don't deny Sofware is a good thing, but if I am serious about the sound that I am looking for, the Hardware Synths will always fill that for me.
    My reply was point out that there are still many other prefer Hardware...

To Moonmusic:
    I am using Music Application to recall/ or store sysex, sometimes, a dedicate Sysex transfer software [to convert sysex to Midifile or vice versa], I create Environment in Logic for my Synths and Edit sounds with Sound diver. With Complex Synths, I prefer buying Programmer, like Roland MKS70,80, the Programmer alone can cost up to 700-800$ [PGM80]

Name 1 hardware that trying to copy software? and who wants to do that? People don't buy >2K Jupiter then trying to make it sound like Absynth.
    You said Absynth or other don't Copy then you don't know anything about synths- They don't copy by name but the technology, they just avoid the name. Absynth? Prophet VS, Wavestation ring aby bell? The real synths is only chips with real filter..not bunch of 1100 code.
    Enough already, I know if I say bad thing about software [which I don't] in FK software forum then I'll get flame by people like you.... so do your home work and trying to make $$ for a real synth then you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dsstudio
    I create Environment in Logic for my Synths and Edit sounds with Sound diver. With Complex Synths, I prefer buying Programmer, like Roland MKS70,80, the Programmer alone can cost up to 700-800$ [PGM80]
    Is there a Sound Diver for OSX 10.4? If so I should check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Is there a Sound Diver for OSX 10.4? If so I should check that out!
    No, there is only a BETA [OSX] version available.
    But the Emagic site is gone, you'll have to find it at another source. better to wait for Apple to take over and release it in Logoc bundle. The current OSX app can be use is Unisyn from MOTU.
    I'm using dedicate old G4 OS9 machine for Sound Diver.

Please stop this silly hardware vs. software argument... Regarding software being *always* worse than hardware: That's nonsense. There is enough stuff in the software world that sounds better and more interesting than most of the hardware out there (Reaktor, anyone? Absynth? Zebra 2? Tassman?), no matter whether it uses 'old' synthesis principles or not (I wouldn't call that 'copy hardware'). And there are quite a few emulations that sound pretty much like the real deal, if that's what you're after (you're so proud of your wavestation... listen to the Korg Legacy Collection - the software version sounds *exactly* like the original, and the same is true for the M1 in the new Legacy Collection). This is especially true for digital synths, which are basically just mini computers in a keyboard shell (I think the Neuron was just basically a computer in a keyboard, and the Korg Oasys is based on a Linux system as far as I know). In my opinion, very often, software synths sound dull because the people are using them together with their cheapo Soundblaster cards. When I hook up Absynth or Tassman or Zebra2 to my Motu interface and my ADAM speakers, it surely kicks a...

That said, I think hardware can be wonderful as well - but the 'bang for the buck' ratio gets worse and worse these days. (And just FYI: I bought and sold a lot of hardware over the years, including a Wavestation, a Kurzweil K2000, some Roland synths etc., so I *can* compare these...)

First, are you saying that the real DX-7 sounds better than FM7? My TX-7 has been sitting in a closet for years and I haven't compared the two, but my hunch is that this is a bad example. The DX-7 was a phenomenal instrument when it came out, but everyone complained about how poor its audio quality was.

Second, if you run soft synths through some real stuff - tube preamps, whatever - you can usually make them sound just as big as hardware.

Third, and this is a real duck-and-run comment: I personally don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether an imitation of a Moog sounds just like the real thing or not. All I need are good sounds that are close to the real thing.

So I was leafing through the new Sweetwater Progear Catalogue and see Motu Unisyn 2 is now supporting over 300 synths,signal processors,etc...Including my beloved Triton...I still can't believe as popular as the Triton is there hasn't been a free librarian for it somewhere!...They have a PC version as well...I believe it still supports the keyboard I began this post on too, Ensoniq VFX....

Go Back to forum