• Register
  • Help

Topic: Filling out my collection: K2 or Colossus?

Share/Bookmark

Filling out my collection: K2 or Colossus?

I have:
    EWQLSO Gold
    Absynth
    FM7
    G3 (Solo)

I'm looking to round out my collection of sounds a bit, and Colossus seems to me a great all around choice, but is a lot of $$$ for me. I realize it's a completely different animal, but I can get K2 for 1/3 the price (crossgrade), it seems to have a decent collection of sounds, and I wouldn't mind having K2. Doesn't have nearly the number of sounds, but K2 does have some needed things for me - guitars and basses etc. On the other hand no choirs and no ethnic that Colossus does have, which I also want.

Just looking for any input/suggestions anyone might care to share. I'm just doing various genres scoring on my own right now, no particular focus, just want to build a well-rounded collection to work with.

Thanks!

buzz

Re: Filling out my collection: K2 or Colossus?

K2 has VSL which complements what gold at times is lacking which is good solo ww and some brass. I use K2 VSL along with Gold beautifully. If it's a choice I'd go with K2 for sure.

It's a sampler and has a decent library. It has legato instruments from VSL, not many, but enough to come in handy. K2 completely changed the way I think about music with it's non-orchestral library too. I love it.

Ars

Collossus impressed me a lot more than K2. The VSL stuff in K2 is really nice, but you already have EWQLSO Gold. I think if you're looking to add to your orchestral library, you really should get additional articulations you don't have, instead of repeating the same articulations with a different set of sounds.

The stuff in Collossus is really high quality, and many patches are unique enough where you won't find equivalents in other general libraries--unless you buy for a specific focus (Ra, for example, or Storm Drum). The stuff from K2 is pretty vanila (excluding the VSL library), although also good quality.

Another angle is that since you already have G3, adding K2 as another sampler can be a good thing for when you want to use a Kontakt library. You should probably get K2 just for that reason. IMO, never buy a sampler because of the included library, because they are usually not the best quality (the included VSL stuff being a happy exception). For serious sounds, buying individual libraries with a solid focus is ALWAYS better (more articulations, more velocity layers, advanced programming..etc).

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    [...]
    I'm looking to round out my collection of sounds a bit, and Colossus seems to me a great all around choice, but is a lot of $$$ for me. I realize it's a completely different animal, but I can get K2 for 1/3 the price (crossgrade), it seems to have a decent collection of sounds, and I wouldn't mind having K2. Doesn't have nearly the number of sounds, but K2 does have some needed things for me - guitars and basses etc. On the other hand no choirs and no ethnic that Colossus does have, which I also want.
    I own Colossus and will get my K2 crossgrade next monday or tuesday,
    so if you're not in a hurry just wait until next week and I'll tell you
    more

BTW, Colossus has some basses and some really good sounding guitars
    as well. I want K2 just for the player itself, not for the samples!

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the thoughtful help.

Yeah, let me know what you think Tom, I'd be real interested to hear what you say about the comparison (although you may have a lot more to start with than I do...)

buzz

Boy that would be a tough call....I have both by the way...If you don't have much of a library then Colossus will give you a jump start in the sounds category but Kontakt can load anything else you might want to add on....G3 has been setting on my shelf a long time now....I guess the questions I would ask is, Is there anything on the market that I plan to get sample wise that doesn't have it's own player built in?...If so, how far down the road? Eventually you'll want both for sure...I have enough sample libraries now that doesn't have their own player that K2 gets used just as much as Colossus but if you were to stack up the two side by side on just factory sounds then Colossus is the stand alone winner...Still not a clear cut answer but hope it helps some how...Good Luck....Moon

Well, I have K2 and Colossus, as well as EWQSLO Gold, Gigastudio 3 Orchestra, many piano libraries, and a fair number of other libraries. I use the sounds mainly for my own live playing, as opposed to recording. I play both rock and classical. I sometimes will set up a classical keyboard piece played with strings, horns, etc, set up accross 4 keyboard zones. And I'll set up a rock song for solo play accross 4 zones also, bass, guitar, organ, piano, trumpet, etc. All my many libraries have something to offer, but in reality, instead of going thousands of dollars in debt on my credit card buying them all, I think I could have been fairly happy owning just Kontakt 2 with its excellent (IMO) library, along with a couple of my favorite piano libraries. Many times I will just fire that up and play from its library. More often I do mix and match sounds from various libraries, most often Colussus. But if I had owned K2 first (which wasn't even available when I started collecting soft samples - K1s library isn't near as good) it would have been more then good enough for most of what I do. And I could have saved thousands of $s. I do like having Colossus and its many sounds, but on a budget, I'd go K2. Actually, the best thing would be to get both. But if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take K2, also because I have a definite need for its more powerful features over the built in Kompakt players. But your needs are of course different from mine.

This is like asking whether you should buy a labrador retreiver or a chihuahua and a rabbit.

Do you want a colossal sample library with a player or a full-featured sampler with a good amount of bundled content?

If you're going to build your own content, you want the sampler; if you're going to use the sounds, you want Colossus.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    Thanks, folks, I appreciate the thoughtful help.

Yeah, let me know what you think Tom, I'd be real interested to hear what you say about the comparison (although you may have a lot more to start with than I do...)

buzz
    Okay, here we go: I own the K2 library now for 2 days, it's a good starting
    point for everyday sounds but it's by far not as good as Colossus.
    The K2 library is average with some very good sounds whereas Colossus
    is very good with some average sounds.

My decision to buy Colossus for the sounds and K2 for the sample player
    was about 100% right

Tom

K2 is the way I would go in your situation...

Go Back to forum