• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A Spoof on Gate's CES Windows Vista Demo

Share/Bookmark

A Spoof on Gate's CES Windows Vista Demo

I found this funny video of Gate's Vista demo at CES.

http://homepage.mac.com/vito/real_vista_episode_1.mov

Re: A Spoof on Gate's CES Windows Vista Demo

This is a brilliant satire.

The point is that most all the new features promised for Windows Vista in a year are features that have already been in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger for the last six months. So Windows is again a year and a half behind the Mac.

I think it appropriate to post the following excerpt from David Pogue, tech writer for the New York Times. This is from his weekly email newsletter and is not found on the NYTimes web site.

"* Widgets. Vista will let you summon, at the right edge of the screen, widgets: single-purpose, single-window little programs. One's an egg timer, one's a news ticker, and so on. It's a lot like the Dashboard in Mac OS X (or the shareware Konfabulator that came before it), except that apparently, you can't put the widgets anywhere on the screen you like.

* 3-D application switcher. With a keystroke, Vista can present you with a stacked deck of every window that's open on your machine, making it easier to hunt through them for one particular window. It's a lot like the Expose feature in Mac OS X, except that you don't get to see all of the windows simultaneously; you have to walk through them one at a time with the mouse or keyboard.

* Global, fast search. Vista can now find words in any of your files, quickly and easily, just like the Spotlight feature of Mac OS X.

* Photo organization. Some limited photo editing is now built into Vista's photo browser, which couldn't look more like Apple's iPhoto program if you ran it through a copying machine.

If I seem to be laying on the "stolen from Apple" language a bit thick, you're darned right. Ordinarily, I'm careful about making accusations like this, because I know I'll get hammered by Apple bashers. But in this case, there's not a shred of doubt: most of the features Microsoft demonstrated last night were pure, unadulterated ripoffs from Mac OS X. I could hear actual whispers of recognition from the audience around me."

Hehe. Well, on one hand what has Windows EVER been but an attempt to copy the Mac OS (which, remember is all copied from an unused Xerox OS). And on the other, at least these features are being implemented. I mean, better late than never.

Furthermore, what Windows is today is the features of the Mac OS plus fundamentally flawed concepts such as the Registry and ActiveX, along with other massive security lapses that result in infestation with malicious viruses and spyware.

If you use the Mac OS you get all the features and a total absence of viruses and spyware.

And from my 20 years of professional computer support in cross-platform Microsoft and Apple environments, I don't see this situation changing in the future.

Windows is fine if you are willing to educate yourself about viruses and spyware and to be hyper-vigilant and spend extra money on protection tools. On the other hand if you just want to use your computer to get work done, and you're not interested in becoming a security expert, please get a Mac. At least your system won't become a zombie and be used to spread contagion to other users over the Internet.

Sincerely,

Wheat Williams
    Grumpy Tech Support Curmudgeon

I'll stick with the penguin

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams

And from my 20 years of professional computer support in cross-platform Microsoft and Apple environments, I don't see this situation changing in the future.

Windows is fine if you are willing to educate yourself about viruses and spyware and to be hyper-vigilant and spend extra money on protection tools. On the other hand if you just want to use your computer to get work done, and you're not interested in becoming a security expert, please get a Mac. At least your system won't become a zombie and be used to spread contagion to other users over the Internet.
    I dunno, I think the main reason Mac doesn't get hit with viruses is because it's just lower profile. They are undeniably more secure, but the hackers could trash them if they wanted to. In fact, Macs being more of a challenge, you'd think they'd be all over it. But PC's are way more prevalent, and it would seem the types of idiots that write viruses are PC based people

I stick with PC pretty much because I grew up with them, and I like them from a hardware point of view. I can easily build a cheap powerful machine myself with off the counter stuff, and upgrade it without any hassle at all. The OS is a necesary evil that comes with the hardware.
    The original Mac was basically the exact opposite- a pitiful piece of closed hardware architecture that had such a killer OS people bought it anyway.
    I really like Macs and how they work. I just am not used to them and they cost more; that's the only reason I don't have one. My brother is a Mac fanatic; he always gives me grief about being a PC person
    The real irony is that for all those years Mac was the only serious choice for music. Now many of my favorite apps are Windows only.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    This is a brilliant satire.

The point is that most all the new features promised for Windows Vista in a year are features that have already been in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger for the last six months. So Windows is again a year and a half behind the Mac.

I think it appropriate to post the following excerpt from David Pogue, tech writer for the New York Times. This is from his weekly email newsletter and is not found on the NYTimes web site.

"* Widgets. Vista will let you summon, at the right edge of the screen, widgets: single-purpose, single-window little programs. One's an egg timer, one's a news ticker, and so on. It's a lot like the Dashboard in Mac OS X (or the shareware Konfabulator that came before it), except that apparently, you can't put the widgets anywhere on the screen you like.

* 3-D application switcher. With a keystroke, Vista can present you with a stacked deck of every window that's open on your machine, making it easier to hunt through them for one particular window. It's a lot like the Expose feature in Mac OS X, except that you don't get to see all of the windows simultaneously; you have to walk through them one at a time with the mouse or keyboard.

* Global, fast search. Vista can now find words in any of your files, quickly and easily, just like the Spotlight feature of Mac OS X.

* Photo organization. Some limited photo editing is now built into Vista's photo browser, which couldn't look more like Apple's iPhoto program if you ran it through a copying machine.

If I seem to be laying on the "stolen from Apple" language a bit thick, you're darned right. Ordinarily, I'm careful about making accusations like this, because I know I'll get hammered by Apple bashers. But in this case, there's not a shred of doubt: most of the features Microsoft demonstrated last night were pure, unadulterated ripoffs from Mac OS X. I could hear actual whispers of recognition from the audience around me."
    This is what business is all about....I mean, copyin.... plagia....competition!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    I'll stick with the penguin
    And that's a step i've thought about many many times.

Tony, What sort of Linux programs are there for us muso types?

Regards,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Tony, What sort of Linux programs are there for us muso types?
    Alex,

There's a ton of stuff out there. Not all as slick as the big guns but useable and mostly free. Start by looking at these;

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/linux/

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb0...linuxaudio.asp

http://www.linuxmusician.com/

http://www.nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=lms

I haven't explored all the packages available yet but I hope to review some in the coming weeks.

for anyone thinking about dipping their toes into music production in a Linux environment may I strongly suggest a visit to CCRMA. They have a complete (FC3 based) distribution with all the patches, and probably 90% of the applications, tools, and utilities all bundled up nice and neat. The installer that they use even lets you try different kernels!!!

It is kept up to date by the guy that supports IT at CCRMA, and he does a wonderful job.

The URL: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

There are other distributions that you migt want to look at, especially those based on liveCD technology:

ferventsoftware.com - not free, but pretty cool
    www.dynebolic.org - relatively new, looks interesting
    tkla.sourceforge.net - turnkey linux, also very cool
    www.agnula.org - not sure what the status is

Some other links that might be interesting:
    sound.condorow.net/ - tons of links
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb0...linuxaudio.asp
    http://www.linuxmusician.com/index.p...links&Itemid=4
    ttp://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm
    www.linuxjournal.com/article/8738
    http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/in...=229&Itemid=44

Feel free to drop me a line if you have specific questions, I'm still pretty new to the whole thing, and I still use Windows as my primary DAW because of the tools I already own, but I am headed in the Linux direction just as fast as I can, my biggest obstacle at the moment is I/O hardware.

Take care,

Bill

Go Back to forum