• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Forum need to be redifned?

Share/Bookmark

Forum need to be redifned?

I went to the SamplesLibraries forum this morning and found the following threads:
    Jazz in Film Music
    Cubase SX3 or Sonar 5
    Anybody using an Alesis QS8 for a controller?
    Ralph Vaughan Williams

While all are valid topics none of these are related to what the forum is supposed to be about. Other groups of forums have specific forums for general stuff like this.

I respectfully submit to the moderators that they either need to rename or redefine this forum or create another, as UAD, Sonikmatter and many others have, for post like these.

Call me crazy but when I come to a forum called "Sample Libraries Discussion" with the descriptor "This forum is for discussions related to sounds for sampling" I am expecting to discuss sample libraries and their usage.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re: Forum need to be redifned?

Partly due to the fact that this section of the forums seems to be the main hangout for a number of years. Posting in other sections of the forums sometimes returns either much less information or none at all.

I do agree with you though.

I kind of like that the focus is on sample libraries but with room for off topics. Doesn't bother me.

I'd very much like to see a forum dedicated to demo music - i love what many people post here but if i go back looking for something i rarely know where to start. I know other forums have these but they seem to be dedicated to single libraries or such. Here, there is a vast array of libraries and the quality of music seems to be top notch so its a shame to lose it in the mix.

steve

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    While all are valid topics none of these are related to what the forum is supposed to be about. Other groups of forums have specific forums for general stuff like this.
    This section of the forum has always been widely varied. It is the "hang" for most people who come here.

If you attempt to restrict conversation to too many different subcategories, you tend to kill off the momentum that keeps community alive.

I'm not sure why these topics of conversation bother you so badly. I have noticed an increasing level of consternation in other threads you've participated in, and when you get frustrated, you usually sign off with...

"Well, this is my last post on the subject. I thought we were here to discuss sample libraries. How about that (insert library here)?"

Why bother with the histrionics? If you don't want to discuss a subject, don't.

I completely agree that too many categories kills a board. You then just go to the stuff that really interests you and leave other things that you might otherwise have input on but don't see. Given the amount of traffic in the samples forum, i see no reason to separate much out - except those demos!

But even in the demo case, you could post the demo ina demos forum and just aleart readers her to your posting - it think that would work quite well - double posts could be quite acceptable in that case i think cause it would be nice to have a repository of NS music i think - maybe even categorized into classical, film, etc.

steve

I agree with Bruce. This forum gets a nice/appropriate level of traffic. Not too much, not too litte. I think it works; I wouldn't mess with it.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I went to the SamplesLibraries forum this morning and found the following threads:
    Jazz in Film Music
    Cubase SX3 or Sonar 5
    Anybody using an Alesis QS8 for a controller?
    Ralph Vaughan Williams
    People using samples also use controllers sequencers, some are jazz players and many of them love the Symphony No. 3, "Movement 3" from RVW

SergeD

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    This section of the forum has always been widely varied. It is the "hang" for most people who come here.

If you attempt to restrict conversation to too many different subcategories, you tend to kill off the momentum that keeps community alive.

I'm not sure why these topics of conversation bother you so badly. I have noticed an increasing level of consternation in other threads you've participated in, and when you get frustrated, you usually sign off with...

"Well, this is my last post on the subject. I thought we were here to discuss sample libraries. How about that (insert library here)?"

Why bother with the histrionics? If you don't want to discuss a subject, don't.
    I am not being histrionic Bruce. I am not sittig here weeping, gnashing my teeth, cursing, etc.

Other forums, i.e. PSW, Sonikmatter, simply do not behave this way and the moderators keep a tighter rein on things. Apparently, many of you like that looser nature about this forum. I do not. I don't like have to sift through the OT stuff. In fact, it seems like it is mostly become OT stuff. Take a look at the thread "Best Sampled Strings". For about the last 10 posts it is only about people making jokes, not discussing the topic.

If the mods and most of you disagree that is fine. I just wondered if others also found it tiresome.

I guess I am looking for factual info and discussions, not a "hang", so maybe this is a forum for me to come to occasionally, not as much as I have been, and spend more of my time in the more focused forums.

Not a knock on anyone, just different needs I guess.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I guess I am looking for factual info and discussions, not a "hang", so maybe this is a forum for me to come to occasionally, not as much as I have been, and spend more of my time in the more focused forums.
    ....but then we would miss you, Jay.

Go Back to forum