• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB jazz quartet - Pennies From Heaven

Share/Bookmark

JABB jazz quartet - Pennies From Heaven

This is a little sketch I have done of "Pennies From Heaven" for Piano, Bass, Drums & Guitar.

As I say it is a sketch/work in progress and there is at least one bum chord in the piano part. However, it received a couple of favourable comments on chat last Sunday, so I thought i woudl share it with you guys:

www.stradjazz.com/pennies.mp3

The tune is a "standard", but the arrangement is mine

The purpose behind the sketch was to exercise my brush drumming chops, see if the JABB guitar could gently chomp in the background, have a go at a George Shearing type chorus, and to see how effective JABB is in an intimate setting.

I was pleaseantly surprised at how good the drums and guitar came out - and the Shearing chorus.

I was horrified at my piano jazz chops on this one - I don't know what went wrong. My only excuse is that it was done over Christmas and I was probably worse the wear for excesses of food/drink and lack of sleep!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Any criticisms, comments, suggestions, awards, etc., gratefully received.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: JABB jazz quartet - Pennies From Heaven

Great Emulation!

I know you were only doing a test for drums and rhythm guitar but I would like to have seen a deeper level of control of the melodic guitar with slides, bends and other inflections to set it apart from the piano, or even scrap the piano's melody alltogether at that section, and just have them comping along. Really nice stuff though! Tasty!

~Scott

Thumbs up Re: JABB jazz quartet - Pennies From Heaven

wow, I say wow...then remake the piano in Quaresima penitence time...

Nice job on this, Richard -- the percussion on this was "just right", subtly in the background, not intrusive. I think this is probably some of the best and most realistic brush work I've heard in the JABB demos thus far.

I like this easy-does-it arrangement, too!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Some sweet brushwork on this Richard. I loved the Shearing chorus. I also sometimes do a little locked hands stuff, so I can attest its a lot trickier than it sounds. The feel of this reminded me of those great Jacques Tati gentle comedies, Msr Hulot's Holidays etc.
    Nice One.
    regards

Thanks for the comments guys.

Scott - I'll play with your suggestions tonight. I was worried that the Guitar lead playing sounded too much like a piano, but couldn't think how to better treat it but, <slaps head>, a bit more sliding and bending would probably be the answer.

Cheers
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thumbs up Re: JABB jazz quartet - Pennies From Heaven

I think this is a very nice, soft and gentle jazz tune.

Unison of piano and guitar is very attractive and persuasive. All the brush works are very fine.

Thanks for sharing the music with us.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

This is quite nice Richard!
    Styxx

Great work!

A very smooth ,clean and uncluttered arrangement..with a terrific memorable melody!

Wonderful!

~jeff

Hi Richard - from just along the road!!

Good work - I loved the laid-back dreamy sound of this one. Very relaxing.... zzzz....... yep, VERY relaxing
    Nice stereo effect on the piano.

Great stuff
    Jon

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast