• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody using an Alesis QS8 for a controller??

Share/Bookmark

Anybody using an Alesis QS8 for a controller??

I'm just wondering how the data sliders work for controlling modulation and controllers in general? I tried one in the store and saw that the mod key just didn't have a lot of lee way, but the faders seem like the way to go if you're doing affecting modulation or anything on the fly... Anybody uses one of these regularly??? Any info appreciated...

Re: Anybody using an Alesis QS8 for a controller??

You can set those sliders to any MIDI controllers. You can also put it in Mix mode and get the controllers going over different channels. The mod wheel is not that bad. The keyboard is a bit light for a weighted controller, but you can get them very cheap.

Gigging musician (R&B) friend has an older QS6. I don't know if it's the result of design, age or use but the pitch wheel centering mechanism no longer works properly. If he isn't paying attention it sounds real bad when he doubles the sax player's lines.

It looks like a bad design. I'm wondering if others have had the same problem.

Ernie

Thanks Analogue and ohernie.... I'm a guitarist, so I like the action a lot cause the keys are wide and hard enough to be "like a piano" for me, but soft enough that I don't get pains in my hands like I do from other controllers out there... So, yeah, if the sliders work, then that's a plus... Thanks..

I have a QS8.1 and love it. The action is very nice and doesn't fight with you.
    I would recommend it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    I'm just wondering how the data sliders work for controlling modulation and controllers in general? I tried one in the store and saw that the mod key just didn't have a lot of lee way, but the faders seem like the way to go if you're doing affecting modulation or anything on the fly... Anybody uses one of these regularly??? Any info appreciated...
    Hi Tradivoro.

I have a QS8. I bought it like 6 years ago. Eventhough I do not use it much these day, I still have it sitting in my home studio and connected to my sequencing PC Via ADAT, and midi. But I am planning on using at as a controller for non piano samples. I primarily use a Kawai MP9500 as a controller for piano, as I do piano stuff mostly. The QS8 is a great keyboard for most general use, its got lots of great sounds, and If you dive deep into the programming aspect of it in the mix mode you can do lots of cool layering sounds.

I know its seems like the mod key does not have a lot of movement, but is does reach its full range just like any other keyboard, but it just feels a little weird as there is not much there to hold, as its quite flat with the board. The faders are great, and I use to use them all the time. I used to know this keyboard like the back of my hand, but don't remember much anymore as I use it so infrequently these days. Overall, this is a great general use keyboard. And they are so cheap now, I payed about $1500 7 years ago.

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks chriscaouette and ddarwin7, after hearing your feedback, this looks more and more like a definite purchase in the near future... I downloaded a copy of the manual, so I've been getting hip to the aspects of the keyboard... Thanks for the feedback on the mod wheel ddarwin, I wasn't sure how that worked in real life... I imagine the fader must give you better control, especially with samples that change from one level of modulation to another... I just wanted to know from folks who had real life experince with it if the controller aspect of it worked well... I tried other 88 note controllers and I can just really play music with this one, the action is very responsive... And the price is very good now too... So, thanks once again...

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Gigging musician (R&B) friend has an older QS6. I don't know if it's the result of design, age or use but the pitch wheel centering mechanism no longer works properly. ...
    It looks like a bad design. I'm wondering if others have had the same problem.

Ernie
    I have the earlier Quadrasynth Plus which I use as my main controller on stage when there isn't a decent piano. The pitch wheel definitely has issues with sticking and not returning to 0. The mod wheel also can stick a bit, but it's not spring-loaded, so it's not an issue except that it's not a smooth feel.

IMHO, I would warn you off of Alesis keyboards, they are built to a low price point, and reliability is not a priority. (Plus I personally find very few internal sounds of any use - I use the acoustic piano and a couple of others with piano/pad of some sort, that's about it. The brass, Rhodes, basses, organs etc. pretty much suck.) You might consider something like the Kurzweil 2661 (or 2600 if you want to get serious,) they have many controllers - sliders, buttons, etc. programmable as you wish.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Hi Soundsmith, the main reason I like this keyboard is the touch of the keys, allows me to play and the fact that the sliders will give me the ability to affect controllers on the fly... I don't need a super controller keyboard, just one that allows me to do my controllers edit and stuff... I know that the sounds are nothing to write about, but it has a few sounds that would come in handy now and then, and definitely the piano is useful... Mostly I use external sounds anyway, so that's not a major issue... Thanks for the feedback though...

Go Back to forum