• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: IVORY VST-I'm impressed

Share/Bookmark

IVORY VST-I'm impressed

I just got this today. It took about an hour and a half to load (due to my inattention more than anything else). I was expecting a real resource hog and possible issues with streaming samples from the dedicated 7200 RPM HD I'm using (thinking that I might need SATA RAID0). There were absolutely no problems with the install and I'm sitting here playing this at 64k buffers with the full monte Bosendorfer loaded with the maximum number of sample layers and expression options with the sustain pedal all over it and with BFD streaming samples back from the same disk in a Cubase SX3 project and the entire project is using 1.35G of RAM and CPU usage is around 8%. Yes....that's *8%* CPU usage at 1.5ms latency settings. (AMD 64 4200 x 2 dual core system with 4 G RAM).

I'm not a serious keyboardist. I bought this in hopes of having a realistic piano in my studio for session work but now I'm inspired beyond words. This thing is seriously bordering on *total* reality. The only thing standing between virtual and real with this is the fact that I've got a pair of reference monitors between the samples and my ears. I've had a bit of time in the same room as a Bosendorfer and also good friend has a Steinway D in his music room not too far from here and I know these instruments pretty well.......and this is as close as I've ever heard. It's not often that I run across something that give me a warm fuzzy these days.

Highly recommended......and very pleasantly surprised......and not having a second thought about registering this at all. You would have a real problem on your hands trying to get me to give it back.

Re: IVORY VST-I'm impressed

Quote Originally Posted by animix
    I just got this today. It took about an hour and a half to load (due to my inattention more than anything else). I was expecting a real resource hog and possible issues with streaming samples from the dedicated 7200 RPM HD I'm using (thinking that I might need SATA RAID0). There were absolutely no problems with the install and I'm sitting here playing this at 64k buffers with the full monte Bosendorfer loaded with the maximum number of sample layers and expression options with the sustain pedal all over it and with BFD streaming samples back from the same disk in a Cubase SX3 project and the entire project is using 1.35G of RAM and CPU usage is around 8%. Yes....that's *8%* CPU usage at 1.5ms latency settings. (AMD 64 4200 x 2 dual core system with 4 G RAM).

I'm not a serious keyboardist. I bought this in hopes of having a realistic piano in my studio for session work but now I'm inspired beyond words. This thing is seriously bordering on *total* reality. The only thing standing between virtual and real with this is the fact that I've got a pair of reference monitors between the samples and my ears. I've had a bit of time in the same room as a Bosendorfer and also good friend has a Steinway D in his music room not too far from here and I know these instruments pretty well.......and this is as close as I've ever heard. It's not often that I run across something that give me a warm fuzzy these days.

Highly recommended......and very pleasantly surprised......and not having a second thought about registering this at all. You would have a real problem on your hands trying to get me to give it back.

i have NI Akoustik Piano and i think it's better

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    I've played NI Akoustik, thin sound, galaxy steinway is far better for me.

What kind of keyboard/controller are you using for Ivory? I was all set on the CME UF8, but I've been reading some disconcerting things about its build quality.

The old war of 'D' enthousiasts is about to start again...

But yes, IMO Galaxy is still one of the best, even if it has been (a little) outmoded by sampling / programming matters.
    From a sound recording perspective (miking / natural ambience from a great studio...) it is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    The old war of 'D' enthousiasts is about to start again...

But yes, IMO Galaxy is still one of the best, even if it has been (a little) outmoded by sampling / programming matters.
    From a sound recording perspective (miking / natural ambience from a great studio...) it is unique.

i never heard a bosendorfer like NI akoustik

i never heard a bosendorfer like NI akoustik
    I read somewhere that the Bosendorfer was the weakest piano in NI. Do you have a different opinion on that?

Any views on the Hybrid Piano's yet?

Rons

those are pretty spectacular perfomance figures there Animix ... !!!
    numbers like that with Ivory *AND* BFD off the same drive is impressive.
    i've sent you an email with some q's about your rig.
    sounds like it's just what i need.

Quote Originally Posted by 4711shaun
    those are pretty spectacular perfomance figures there Animix ... !!!
    numbers like that with Ivory *AND* BFD off the same drive is impressive.
    i've sent you an email with some q's about your rig.
    sounds like it's just what i need.
    On the other hand an Athlon 64 system with 4200 x 2 dual core system
    and 4 G RAM is close to the fastest what you can currently buy - just
    to put the performance numbers a little bit into perspective ;-)

The only way to go any higher would be to buy a 4800x2 which increases
    clock from 2.2Ghz to 2.4Ghz and doubles the cache - this would probably
    result in something like max 10-15% more performance...

Do you actually own Ivory???

Go Back to forum