• Register
  • Help

Topic: Portamento

Share/Bookmark

Portamento

Hallo out there,
    Just trying a few things in Garritan and was looking at the portamento on the kontakt player. Would like to obtain a smoothe ascending scale using violin but nothing seems to change when I up the portamento? Some thing else I should do?

Help? please

Marto

Re: Portamento

Marto,

Portamento is only active when the sustain pedal is down (cc64, value 127.) See the tutorial here for more info: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33376

Tom

[QUOTE=Tom Hopkins]Marto,

Portamento is only active

Hi Tom, Thanks for the info. The biggest prob I have here I think is I really have no idea what every one is talking about when using the cc numbers. These are corresponding to midi numbers I presume but How are you bring them in to the operation? I am running GPO through logic express and have the Kontakt player showing but this business of cc is confusing me somewhat.

Regards

Martyn

[quote=marto]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Marto,

Portamento is only active

Hi Tom, Thanks for the info. The biggest prob I have here I think is I really have no idea what every one is talking about when using the cc numbers. These are corresponding to midi numbers I presume but How are you bring them in to the operation? I am running GPO through logic express and have the Kontakt player showing but this business of cc is confusing me somewhat.

Regards

Martyn
    The MIDI standard was established a couple of decades ago so that different manufacturer's equipment could be made to "talk" to one another. They agreed on a set of specifications that defined data assignments for many of the things that would be useful in sound production - like volume, panning, keyboard velocity (how hard the key was struck), pitchbend, and others. In addition to the ones that had specific jobs they also included a large number of unassigned controller numbers for custom purposes. When I program an instrument I take advantage of some of these unassigned controllers to give users the ability to control certain aspects of the programming. Portamento is a good example. This is cc20. You can use this controller to affect the portamento programming by placing cc20 data in sequencer tracks. Most sequencers have a piano roll view that lets you choose a controller to "draw" values into your tracks. See your sequencer's manual or Help file for more information. And for more detailed information about MIDI controllers read one of the many books available on basic MIDI. It's difficult and confusing to use these things if you don't understand how they work. A little study will pay big dividends.

Tom

Thanks again Tom for info ,
    Yes, I am just trying to get my head around midi and have lots of questions I could ask but shall persevere for a while and try pressing all the buttons and sliding the sliders etc until something wedges in this pea of abrain of mine

Thanks again for info

regards

Martyn

Go Back to forum