• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilogy can't find alias?

Share/Bookmark

Trilogy can't find alias?

I had a HD crash and had to reinstall Trilogy. I made the Trilogy Dat file an installed it on my secondary Sata drive. I get an error message saying Triology can't find the Dat file so i made an alias of it and placed it in my applications folder. Still no go. Does anyone know where I should put the alias and if that will solve the problem?

Thanks!
    Rick

Re: Trilogy can't find alias?

What host & OS are you running?

The .dat alias file TYPICALLY lives in the same location as the plugin.

For Mac RTAS, the path would be:

HardDrive/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

For Mac AU, the path would be:

HardDrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Don't assume that everyone works on your OS and host...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyroberts
    What host & OS are you running?

The .dat alias file TYPICALLY lives in the same location as the plugin.

For Mac RTAS, the path would be:

HardDrive/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

For Mac AU, the path would be:

HardDrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Don't assume that everyone works on your OS and host...
    I have Mac Os x. I put the assembled Dat file on my secondary sata drive and made an alias which I placed in "HardDrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components". That didn't work so I copied the whole file onto my primary drive and re-assigned the alias. Still no go. This probably happened because I ran the Dat utility with an output to the secondary drive. I'm not sure if that's the case though.

Thanks,
    Rick

[On PC] I believe this is a registry entry that points to the dat file - not sure if an alias or a shortcut will work like it does for Stylus RMX. There is a utility you candownload at the Spectrasonics site called "Spectramove". It is for moving your dat files on a PC.

If you're on a mac then that is different I suppose and someone else should be able to assist you.

Best of luck,
    Jay

The easiest answer is to place the original DAT file into the components folder.
    Aliases do get corrupted eventually and are potential troublemakers.
    If you insist on using an Alias you should take care that the name is exactly the same (without the word alias or the space behind the original name)
    If i remember correctly it is also wise to create the alias using the menu bar command instead of the keyboard/mouse approach (or was it the other way round?)

Eric?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    The easiest answer is to place the original DAT file into the components folder.
    If you insist on using an Alias you should take care that the name is exactly the same (without the word alias or the space behind the original name)
    If i remember correctly it is also wise to create the alias using the menu bar command instead of the keyboard/mouse approach (or was it the other way round?)
    Nah -- none of this matters. Nothing wrong with using an alias. Using a keyboard command is identical to the menu. I have never had an alias get corrupted.

Make a new alias, move it to the components folder (from the hard drive, not the user library) - remove "alias" (name should match Trilogy.dat exactly)

Jeremy,
    dont assume that because it never happened to you that it is not a potential problem.

I remember Eric telling me that there was a difference between menu and keyboard aliases but it could have been under OS9.

Making a fresh alias is a workaround in case the old one gets broken but still the best way to avoid trouble is to place the original in the right spot.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler

Eric?
    I did exactly what you said and it worked!

Thanks,
    Rick

Go Back to forum