• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Jazz Piano - a question

Share/Bookmark

Question Steinway Jazz Piano - a question

I have recently installed JABB, and am very impressed with the possibilities and range of instruments offered.. To my ear, the Steinway Jazz Piano sounds not unlike the Steinway GPO piano, i.e rather classical/romantic tonally, but not bright enough, and perhaps too rounded for some jazz, especially solos. I know the equalisation can be adjusted to alter the balance, but my experimentations so far have not been successful. Perhaps someone can enlighten me if there is a way to do this, or
    is my ear at fault?

Re: Steinway Jazz Piano - a question

Are you loading the Steinway Jazz Piano with the included Kontakt player or in Kontakt?

The jazz version is much brighter on my system compared to GPO. If you load it into Kontakt though it will be duller sounder.

There is a controller to make the piano brighter listed in the manual. I'm at work and can't remember the exact controller number.

Jim

Hello Haydn - I'm loading it in the bundled Kontact player that came with JABB. I will have a look at the manual. Thanks for reply.

The JABB Steinway is noticeably brighter than the GPO piano on my system too. It can be made even brighter than the default by increasing the value of cc20 to above "90." Whether a full-out value would make the piano as bright as you would like I can't answer. Additional external EQ could always be applied but I think that might quickly take things into the hideously bright. Keep in mind that higher average velocities will brighten the sound as well.

For solo work, the JABB piano demo ( www.garritan.com/Jazz/JazzMp3s/06Piano_Demo.mp3 ) is just about the right brightness for my taste but that is at the default settings. You may prefer things brighter than the demo.

Tom

Go Back to forum