• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Mediaventures uses samples for Hollywood films?

Share/Bookmark

Mediaventures uses samples for Hollywood films?

Pardon me, I'm not too SAVVY (hah! pun intended..you'll see why in a sec) in the film music world, but is it common for major films to use samples?

Have a listen to this clip from Pirates of the Caribbean (now you get the pun, if you've seen the movie):

http://www.samhulick.com/misc/poc.mp3

The strings in the very beginning don't sound very realistic to me. And the brass sounds a bit thin. Actually, I had the opportunity to hear what Zimmer's custom horn lib sounds like (don't ask), and this is kind of what it sounded like. So is this samples? Or just a really bad mix?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Mediaventures uses samples for Hollywood films?

The MV sound is very much a hybrid of live and samples, and for my taste the samples are often too loud...!

D

Yep, they definitely mix in samples with live stuff. They absolutely love their string staccatos, too - I'm almost certain I heard some of the same patches in Batman Begins as in Metal Gear Solid 3 (during Harry's final chase tracks).

Strangely enough, another part of Zimmer's aesthetic seems to be making live stuff sound sampled, as well as vice versa. Again, Batman Begins soundtrack comes to mind (I just finished listening to "Molossus", how bout those horn staccatos at the end?). I can see some people having problems with this aesthetic, but personally I think it's kind of an interesting way to go about doing things (especially in modern or futuristic scenarios). I guess it works for MV so I say more power to 'em.

(as if they need it....)
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

That's just plain awful. Is that clip really from the movie and not some preliminary demo? Not that the composing would be any better with a live orchestra. There are thirteen people in a dozen on this forum who can do that in a split second.

I've seen the movie but from a small television. The music didn't bother me in that scenario but it must really suck in a movie theatre.

I don't know the pirates of ca. music, but when I hear this cue, I should say that it's a first Mock-up of Gladiators ! Hans plagiarize Hans :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Didou
    I don't know the pirates of ca. music, but when I hear this cue, I should say that it's a first Mock-up of Gladiators ! Hans plagiarize Hans :-)
    Yeah, exactly my thoughts too
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    Is that clip really from the movie and not some preliminary demo?
    No - that's really from the movie. I have the soundtrack and that is what it sounds like. It does sound phony to me. How much is samples? How much is real? How much is real, but processed to the extent where it doesn't sound all that real anymore? No idea.

Cheers.

I made a mistake : score written by klaus Badelt and "only" produced by Hans Zimmer...He's not so far...

PS, MV changed names.. they are now "Remote Control Productions."
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Sounds a lot like some of Gladiator as well. Generic film themes Huh?

The string work at the start is woeful and horribly simplistic. I would take this as a good exercise for how NOT to orchestrate well. And again those bloody drums written in to try and hide the boredom underneath.

Someone's imagination was taking a holiday, or staying at someone else's studio for a little while.

Alex.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast