• Register
  • Help

Topic: A potentially stupid question...

Share/Bookmark

A potentially stupid question...

I have a potentially stupid GIGA question for you all (promise not to laugh)...

In all the time I've been using GIGA (still using 2.5 on a Windows 98 machine), I've never used more than 16 MIDI channels at a time, and so have always used only Port 1.

I now find that with an upcoming project, I'll need more channels, so I'm attempting to use Port 1 and Port 2. No luck on getting Port 2 (or 3 or 4) to work. Here's what I know so far...

- the MIDI cables going into my interface (the MidiTerminal 4140) are good. I've tried cables in all 4 inputs, but it seems as if only MIDI in 1 sees a MIDI signal.

- In GIGA, Under Settings/Hardware Routing, the MIDI in ports are set to "MarbleSound Midi: Port1" and "MarbleSound Midi: Port2" (my interface). No matter how I change these settings (Port 3, Port 4, etc.,), only Port 1 sees MIDI inputs - no matter which of the 4 windows it's set to. Again, it seems as if the 4140 is only seeing MIDI coming from the MIDI 1 input, no matter what settings I choose.

- I did a search for "Marblesound" (found nothing) and "4140", and found only the 4140 driver that had been installed. I couldn't find any windows to change or update.

- I've never tried to use Midi Input #2, 3 or 4 on the 4140 before, so I can't absolutely confirm that they've ever worked, but it seems unlikely that they all would be bad.

Therefore, we're left with operator error... So, oh wise ones, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, and have a great new year!

John

Re: A potentially stupid question...

I used to use the 4140 quite a bit with Windows 98. I found it to be a reliable device and probably had 30 or 40 of them in the field at one time. However, when I upgraded customers to XP I had to move them to other midi devices as well. The XP drivers didn't work dependably and I wasted quite a bit of time coming to the conclusion that it was time to just move on. Long story short, I'd recommend getting a 2x2 USB Midi device and forgetting about the 4140. You've certainly gotten your moneys' worth out of it and a 2x isn't going to set you back more than $60 or $70. Cheers, jc

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    I used to use the 4140 quite a bit with Windows 98. I found it to be a reliable device and probably had 30 or 40 of them in the field at one time. However, when I upgraded customers to XP I had to move them to other midi devices as well. The XP drivers didn't work dependably and I wasted quite a bit of time coming to the conclusion that it was time to just move on. Long story short, I'd recommend getting a 2x2 USB Midi device and forgetting about the 4140. You've certainly gotten your moneys' worth out of it and a 2x isn't going to set you back more than $60 or $70. Cheers, jc
    Makes sense, and that may be the way I have to go. For what it's worth, I'm still using Windows 98 (per my Giga guru's advice) instead of XP on my Giga machine. You think it just isn't possible to make this work?

I wasted so much time on those dodgy 4140/XP drivers I'm probably not the one to ask...I was so pissed off about the massive waste of unbillable hours I felt like attacking their booth at NAMM three or four years ago. I doubt that they do any 4140 tech support at this point but you could try there...egosys.com I think. That aside...I think it's safe to upgrade to XP unless you're using a Mobo that has the Intel chipset and limits RAM to 512. You can triple the on board memory (VIA chipset) and XP is a lot easier to work with. I don't miss those non-sensical half hour LAN card installations with 98 at all! If your time is worth anything to you I'd just get a USB device and move on. The other option would be to get one of those 1x1 USB Midis and use that for your channel two. They're really cheap and easy to install. Happy New Year, jc

Isn’t Marblesound the MIDI router that gets installed with the Garritan MaestroTools? Do you have GOS? I don’t have it myself, but there must be a place to configure the MIDI. Did you look in Control Panel? Look for Maple MIDI Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Isn’t Marblesound the MIDI router that gets installed with the Garritan MaestroTools? Do you have GOS? I don’t have it myself, but there must be a place to configure the MIDI. Did you look in Control Panel? Look for Maple MIDI Tools.
    That's it exactly! I couldn't figure out where the Marblesound was coming from, as I sure didn't remember installing it. I played around a little, and discovered that the MarbleSound drivers where in the MaestroTools folder, and all became clear.

Left Port 1 input for MarbleSound 1, at which point some alternate possibilities popped up, including 4140 1, 2, 3, and 4. With MarbleSound input in Midi 1, the 4140 options work in the other input slots.

Bottom line is it all works now. Bill, you're pretty savvy to figure this out mentally - it took me an hour in front of my computer to do the same thing. I should've read your post first... ;-)

Thanks!

John

Go Back to forum