• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should you trim redundant patches from your collection of samples?

Share/Bookmark

Should you trim redundant patches from your collection of samples?

Anyone who's purchased multiple products from the same developer or collaborating developers will end up with repeating patches between libraries (for example, EWQL Collossus contains stuff from other EWQL libraries, or Kontakt 2 contains some patches from VSL products..etc), or you upgraded from an entry product to an advanced one (EWQL Silver, then to Gold) and now have no use for the primitive versions of the patches off the entry product. Do you guys bother deleting redundant patches (or obsolete patches) off your hard drives for the sake of simplicity and saving space? Would that be a good idea, or would it cause problems down the line?

Re: Should you trim redundant patches from your collection of samples?

What "seems" redundant now might look very different in 5 years.
    Of course if you're sure they're exact duplicates then yes, I'd remove them,
    provided they weren't absolutely necessary to run the host program.
    Gold and Gold XP might fall into that category ... not sure.

As an example, the first sample lib I ever bought maybe 5 yrs ago was an upright bass - Larry Seyer Upright.
    I hated it until last week when on a lark I pulled it into GigaStudio
    just to see if it possibly might work in what I was doing.
    It totally made the song happen. I'll be using this in a lot of work from now on ... it's really a cool bass.

I think back then I didn't have the ears or the heart/guts to appreciate this library.
    I'd not have tried it again if it wasn't on my sample drive.

So, if space isn't an issue, maybe a directory called "archive" might be a way to save the confusion.

Steve

Re: Should you trim redundant patches from your collection of samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    Do you guys bother deleting redundant patches (or obsolete patches) off your hard drives for the sake of simplicity and saving space? Would that be a good idea, or would it cause problems down the line?
    I have both Kontakt 2 with the 7 gig VSL library and Opus 1 + 2 + French Oboe with K2 scripts. Certainly I deleted the VSL library that came with K2. Some Native Instruments products include the sound library from previous versions. I keep both versions of the plugin but only the new library (including the old) and point both plugins to it.

Go Back to forum