• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OT: sorry one quick question about Headphones

Share/Bookmark

OT: sorry one quick question about Headphones

Have been reading the post on headphones but didn't specifically find an answer to this question. I am considering upgrading my current set of phones.

I currently have a pair of Senn HD280 pro's (closed). It is important to have the closed version for me. I really like Senn but their higher end units HD600 / 650 are 'open'.

Can someone make a recommendation for a flat freq response set - but has to be closed. I'll need to to be geared towards classical or acoustical - VERY flat - no scooping or souped up lows and highs.

Many thanks for any suggestions

(budget @ $300)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: sorry one quick question about Headphones

I like the old standby MDR-7506's (Sony). Defninitely not glamorous cans, but they get the job done, are relatively non hyped, and you see them at every studio in the world.

Thanks Bruce for the quick reply. I'll check them out. I don't know if you have the Senn's HD280 Pro's - but would these be an 'upgrade'?

I like the HD280's but they do have a bit of low and high hyping to them. Really want something almost 'boringly' flat.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I like the old standby MDR-7506's (Sony). Defninitely not glamorous cans, but they get the job done, are relatively non hyped, and you see them at every studio in the world.
    I have both the MDR-7506's and the Senn HD 650`s and i can most definately verify that the Senns. Are 100% more flat that the Sony`s.. The Sony`s IMO are very hyped in the high end. They are closed ,clear and 'high -fi' sounding., but in no way flat to my ears. You actualy have to be really carefull mixing with these because i found that they tend to make every thing a bit glossier than they actually are. Very revealing for hum and buzz`s though. The Senns 650`s are amazing i might add.

Best, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    I have both the MDR-7506's and the Senn HD 650`s and i can most definately verify that the Senns. Are 100% more flat that the Sony`s.. The Sony`s IMO are very hyped in the high end. They are closed ,clear and 'high -fi' sounding., but in no way flat to my ears. You actualy have to be really carefull mixing with these because i found that they tend to make every thing a bit glossier than they actually are. Very revealing for hum and buzz`s though. The Senns 650`s are amazing i might add.

Best, Rich

Thanks Rich - my eyes have been fixed on Rivendale, err, the Senn 650's

Aside from the price (which in the long run is probably worth it, i have 4 PC's in the studio that I like to 'block out' if possible (which is why the HD 280's have been so good as they are closed.

How to the open 650's do for attenuating studio noise, kids, etc.?

Many thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Just had a thought - for me - the 'closed' phones is what I need. 95% of what I do in this project studio is samples, but on occasion I bring people in to record (vox, solo instruments). The 'open' phones will likely bleed in those 'live' sessions (especially the high end).

Given that - any recommendation for upgrading from the Senn Hd 280 Pros to another closed set of phones?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Caveat on the 7506's...

The reason I recommended them is that they're great tracking headphones.

As far as mixing, I wouldn't use them to do that...but I wouldn't use any headphone for mixing. Only for the occasional reality check for glitches.

I guess what I'm referring to as "flat" in the 7506's is that the tracking experience in them is excellent without the need to crank volume (therefore bleed). This is probably why people use them...at least that has been my experience. I rarely actually "listen" to headphones, I just use them to track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Caveat on the 7506's...

The reason I recommended them is that they're great tracking headphones.

As far as mixing, I wouldn't use them to do that...but I wouldn't use any headphone for mixing. Only for the occasional reality check for glitches.

I guess what I'm referring to as "flat" in the 7506's is that the tracking experience in them is excellent without the need to crank volume (therefore bleed). This is probably why people use them...at least that has been my experience. I rarely actually "listen" to headphones, I just use them to track.
    Yea, i can see that. There a bit 'sizzly' when tracking hi-hats ,cymbals etc.but there very clear , thats for sure and they are sealed and block out metronome click really well etc..
    I use the Senns quite a bit now to check certain balancing issues with my mixs now.
    I acutally mix on my Adams which i have set very close to the flatness of the Senns, then check near the end with some Fostex 6301B`s so see whats gonna happen to my mixs in a car or on T.V. and then make sure nothing overly exagerated (unless i want something to be) with the Senns. This has been working pretty well for me.

Rob, The Sonys would probably be better for blocking out noise (kids, computers etc...). But the Senns are definately flatter if you need to get in there and eq something really fine and get some accuracy. There actually unbelieveably enjoyable to just listen to music with... Best, Rich

Thanks Rich but will the 650's bleed a click track or high end material into the studio (recording others from time to time. Many thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rob, AKG K240 DF
    not K240
    but K240 DF
    Dan

Go Back to forum