• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Are people less educated? Punctuation? Grammar?

Share/Bookmark

Are people less educated? Punctuation? Grammar?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    More and more on the Internet I see postings where the author seems to have no skill at communicating!

Note: This post is only about writers whose native language is English.

They don't break thoughts into sentences. They cannot spell simple words. They don't use periods. They don't use proper capitalization.

The result: you cannot understand what they are trying to say!

And to be blunt: they look uneducated and illiterate when they take things to that extreme.

What is going on here?

Is it only Americans who are doing this? If so, is it a problem with the US school system?

What do you think?

--- Glenn

Re: Are people less educated? Punctuation? Grammar?

Observations:

1. Even the best technician makes mistakes when he's typing quickly.

2. "Proper" style, grammar, English usage are useful, but I find that I can decipher even the worst or kookiest prose.

3. Content or the absence thereof bothers me more than the way in which the content is conveyed.

JG

All true - content over form - but I agree with Glenn that most people haven't mastered basic English in this country. I used to do temp office work at UCLA when I first got out of college, and it was the same with most doctors and academics. Education doesn't seem to matter.

It's the curriculum, I think. They're busy teaching people how to diagram sentences rather than how to write.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I agree. People write atrociously. Strunk and White roll in their respective graves.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Observations:

but I find that I can decipher even the worst or kookiest prose.

JG
    JG,

If a person writes that way because they are lazy, then it's selfish: they really don't care about their readers.

If the person writes that way because they don't know HOW to write better, then they are simply uneducated...and will be at a disadvantage whenever clear written communication would help their interests. They'll lose.

As far as content, sure, I agree. Writing thoughts of no substance clearly is just as useless as a great idea completely obscured by mumbling.

--- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I agree. People write atrociously. Strunk and White roll in their respective graves.
    Agreed. Strunk and White makes it easy, if people would read it.

You know, it's not about being "proper" for the sake of rules. It's about communicating. Formalized rules promote a clear exchange of ideas.

Consider a musician who cannot communicate a musical idea because he is simply too lazy to "learn the musical conventions", so to speak.

"yah I dont play teh flute so good but you should be able fuggur out what i meant to play there dude."

You are correct. It is an incredibly annoying problem. Nick is correct also. It has nothing to do with level of education. There are PhDs that can't write a simple sentence. I recommend this book to you if you are as annoyed by it as I am: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155

It's called "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"

What's even more annoying is that most people don't even seem to care that it's a problem. It's pretty sad when a person has to simplify their language in order to communicate with a supervisor!
    Last edited by Danimal; 01-02-2006 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Edit for grammar. ha ha.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

When we were in Denver over Christmas vacation, my fiance' jumped out of the car and walked quickly in to a store because she was a little cold. My parents and I were a few paces behind her. We were just far enough away from her to see a guy walk near her and say something as he walked by. I caught up to her and asked her what he said.
    He had told her "You be a'ight". She responded by saying "I'm sorry, I don't speak eubonics". I laughed my arse off. I realize the guy was paying her his version of a compliment, but it was still hilarious.

People have the right to speak however they want, but it doesn't mean that the rest of the world should be expected to take them seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    As far as content, sure, I agree. Writing thoughts of no substance clearly is just as useless as a great idea completely obscured by mumbling.
    --- Glenn
    I really shouldn't say much on the subject. Writing is not my "thing" (unlike folks like Bruce, who write beautifully). Having said that, the strongest argument for Strunk and White is that good writing is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition of good thinking. That's S & W is, or should be, a Bible.

And vice versa...... inductive reasoning (common fallacies, cogency, etc) should also be taught at the high school level: good thinking is a precondition of good writing.

I'm into conspiracies, naturally. (S & W wouldn't have like that way of putting it: "into conspiracies"!?) I think the US and Canada aren't interested in training folks to write or to think. It's really not all that important to their "agenda." The system, such as it is and what there is of it, no longer requires it. Let a few exclusive schools do the work.

Trouble is, not even they are doing it any more. Harvard graduation is no ticket to literacy.

Not a good sign.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    good thinking is a precondition of good writing.

JG

An excellent point.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast