• Register
  • Help

Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Battle Theme

Share/Bookmark

Final Fantasy 7 - Battle Theme

Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this. I pretty much grew up playing this game, and hearing Nobuo Uematsu's music in FF7 was what got me started trying to write orchestral music, lol. So this was a natural choice for my first ever mockup attempt in GPO. This is from a MIDI I found online that I assume was taken directly from the PC version of the game. I'm still trying to figure everything out--all I did was run it through the GPO MIDI file translator and then make sure all the notes could be heard in the right instruments. So any suggestions are extremely welcome. Oh, and I used FL Studio's reverb, not the Ambience. Anyway, hope this might bring back some memories for some people, cause it sure does for me.

http://lotusford49.tripod.com/FF7_-_Fighting.mp3

Oh, and you'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser because I'm on a free Tripod account...sorry.

Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Battle Theme

Link worked fine for me, Aviazn.

Good job getting everything working -- gosh, I remember (not too long ago!) when I first started working with this stuff... took me days to figure out which way was up.

Others here are far more technically astute, but a couple of quick suggestions...

To me, this is mixed a bit wide; meaning, I get the sense of different parts of the orchestra coming at me from two different rooms. (Try listening with headphones.)

You can probably also get a lot more kick out of the arrangement by working more with differentiating dynamics, crescendi, etc.

Off to a fine start, Aviazn!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

I'm not a gamer so I wasn't familiar with the piece but you have done a nice job with it. I think everyone will agree, once you have the instruments the way you want, the final mix can make or break what you've done. As David pointed out, use head phones. It will give you a clearer indication of the spatial properties of your work.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

As a fellow gamer, good job for a first try on mocking it up It's a very familiar tune to me, also having grown up with it and similar RPGs.

I'd say there's still a few things that need to be done for it to be a bit more solid though. Some raw midi data could definately be tweaked. Since the game used a midi file with the General MIDI XG soundset, when it's played back using more complex samples it tends to sound like MIDI still.

What can be done?

- Try taking some of the longer held notes and doing some dips and crecendos with the C1 data, as no real player would just hit a note at the same velocity and stay there until they cut off.
    - For the stacattos, try varying the attack velocities based on where accents might be so the result doesn't sound like a machinegun.

One example I know from the piece is when the strings do their intro notes "da, da, da, badabadabadaba da~"

Currently, what the velocities look like is:
    Code:
    |  |  |  ||||||||
    |  |  |  ||||||||
    |  |  |  ||||||||
    And what you might want to try is something more like:

Code:
    |     |  |  |   |
    |  |  |  || || ||
    |  |  |  ||||||||
    Or something along those lines, probably not as drastic as my examples. In any case, keep it up

Oh, you might appreciate this.. not sure if you're familiar with the game or tune, but I also did a GPO mockup of an old RPG piece a few weeks ago, never posted it here: Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG

I thought it was very good. Very familiar tune as well. Maybe you could try the Jenova theme, I liked that a lot.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, guys! Glad to hear there are fellow gamers around. Looks like I've got plenty to keep me busy tonight... Thanks for the mixing tip etLux and valhalx. I actually was using headphones when I did it but I didn't realize just how wide it was until I compared it with Cobalt's Super Mario RPG demo--which, by the way, is awesome. I never played it (well, a few times messing around with it at my uncle's house) but I recognize the tune. I guess it's time to dive into those CCs--thanks for the suggestions Cobalt. I shall report back later.

Oh, and that sounds like a good idea Cataclysm. Come to think of it, mocking up those brass swells followed by the stacatto hits would be a good exercise for me, I bet.
    Mark Zastrow

You brought me back to awesome memories with this game
    Nice and faithful adaptation.
    News & Music here.

Nice work. Yeah I agree with other members that it needs more dynamic work, but this sounds cool. Nobuo Uematsu is great.

-Chris

Muchly improved. I listened to the original and revision. Great improvement.

Bill

Edit: Oops. Posted on wrong thread. My bad.
    Last edited by valhalx; 01-07-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: oops
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Go Back to forum