• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Another JABB test!

Share/Bookmark

Another JABB test!

Like lots of others, I'm trying to get to grips with JABB. I've been rather busy lately, but today I had some free time, so I thought I'd set myself a challenge - to come up with a half-decent sounding mp3 in the quickest possible time.

I chose an excerpt from 'On the street where you live' - taken from a transcription of a recording I made with a band some years ago. Unfortunately I don't know the arranger, so can't give credit.

Each part was played separately into a sequencer, tidied where necessary, and then some controller tweaks were added. I had hoped to get it done in an afternoon, but it actually took most of the evening as well.

There are a few problems to sort out, but that'll have to wait for another day! Anyway, here goes
    JABB Test

Re: Another JABB test!

Very good!

/Mats

Blimey! That's super!

The bass sounds a little unnatural in that it doesn't "ring" enough. It's as though each note of the bass is chopped off prematurely.

A little more "dance hall" reverb would undoubtedly help also.

All in all, a very good job. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twinset
    Like lots of others, I'm trying to get to grips with JABB. I've been rather busy lately, but today I had some free time, so I thought I'd set myself a challenge - to come up with a half-decent sounding mp3 in the quickest possible time.

I chose an excerpt from 'On the street where you live' - taken from a transcription of a recording I made with a band some years ago. Unfortunately I don't know the arranger, so can't give credit.

Each part was played separately into a sequencer, tidied where necessary, and then some controller tweaks were added. I had hoped to get it done in an afternoon, but it actually took most of the evening as well.

There are a few problems to sort out, but that'll have to wait for another day! Anyway, here goes
    JABB Test
    Hi,

The brass sounds really cool. The saxes are lacking the legato transitions making them sound too vertical in the scoring. I hope some attention is drawn to this by Garritan. The bones are fine. The percussion needs to be smoothened out especially on the fills.

BTW, is your foundation orchestral scoring?

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Lotta great sound coming out of this, Twinset.

I'd agree there are some tweaks that could improve various things; but you're definitely headed toward the top of JABB Hill with this.

Good job!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Hi Twinset,

Personally I think it's just fine just as it is. Terrific, in fact!! I keep listening to it over and over.

Great job!
    Jon

I completely agree. That one is a keeper!

Really good work!
    It sounds real good.
    Thanks for sharing!

/Anders

Thanks for all the comments. It's appreciated

This is the first occasion I've had to get to grips with JABB. It was great fun. I wasn't aiming at ultra realism, but rather wanted to see how quickly and easily I could put together something presentable. That's why I chose a big band chart. I figured that exposed instrumentation would need more editing.

On an aside, I loved putting the drum set together. As drumming (and most drummers - sorry guys ) are a bit of a mystery I picked up a book on the subject. This was the result. Very far from perfect, I know, but a definite improvement on my previous attempts.

Thanks to Gary, Tom and all for a great product.

David (aka twinset)

Wow! This sounds great. The opening especially opened my eyes. The saxes sounded pretty good to me too (but Big Band/Jazz is way out for me). Furthermore - this is outstanding! I'm relistening again while typing and my eyes are bulging. Great special effects too. My mouth is on the floor.

YBaCuO

listen to my latest electronic ambient tone saga: The Abyss
    http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1078

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast