• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Need the help of some more knowledgable listeners

Share/Bookmark

OT: Need the help of some more knowledgable listeners

Seeing as this has become my all-purpose place to ask these sort of questions I'll throw this one into the fray as well.

I'm working on a score in which the director is in love with the music of Jon Brion. In particular he's directed me toward his score for I Heart Huckabees as well as some of the mellower music (he pointed me to the first track off the CD) from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. Something about the orchestrations, grooves, and textures really appeals to the guy and he wants me to give him my own version of that style. I naturally want to oblige and I've got about a week to absorb this sound before I begin working on the score but I'm not very familiar with this genre of pop close-miced instrumentals and was hoping the evermore worldly people of this forum could direct me to a few other artists of this style. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: OT: Need the help of some more knowledgable listeners

Listebn to Klaatu's first album- the one with Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft. That's the original source of the second generation Beatles influence with the dry compressed drums and the mellotron and the direct guitar sounds and especially the songwriting. Actually, listen to Hope too. Then add modern loops. Fiona Apple was produced by Brion is I'm not mistaken. Also, IIRC Michaal Penn did a lot of stuff in the same vein.

Re: OT: Need the help of some more knowledgable listeners

Yeah, he did somethings with Aimee Mann too. Her first cd has some cool rock productions. Also, I think I saw Jon Brion on MySpace.com.

RickyB

Go Back to forum