• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: disabling motherboard audio

Share/Bookmark

disabling motherboard audio

Because I was upgrading my own computer to something usable, my friend wanted me to put something music-makeable on a computer of his too. At the moment it had mother board audio. I know how to isntall the 2496 card for him, but what is the case to disable the motherboard's audio? Is this something you can do in the control panel or does it go farther than that?

Re: disabling motherboard audio

This can typically be done in the BIOS.

Any guides available online? Or help?

Where do they have that info? I searched but didn't find anything about BIOS and disabling motherboard audio.

It's quite simple:

While the machine is booting up, you will at one point see the direction(s) "press {whatever-usually esc, f8 or f 10} to enter setup". Keep your eyes on the screen for this direction and follow. Then you can navigate through the BIOS menus with the arrow keys, using enter to access changeable parameters, then altering them with the arrow keys (i think). If you've never used BIOS before, don't worry, its easy. And you can't screw anything up if you don't save on exit. I also think you can restore the defaults easily.

Belbin

I do know what the BIOS is and such, I just don't know what I have to change, where to get to the specific options, and which are related to this task and which are not.

This link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS will give you a primer on what BIOS is. In order to access it in Windows, you have to reboot, at which time you have a very brief window of time to hit F2 or whatever (mine is F2) before XP starts to load.

This gets you to the bios screen, where you'll find a list of functions you can scroll down to using your keyboard to open. It's been a while, but I have something listed like leagacy audio, and you can turn it "On" or "Off.." Mine is off.

Then in your Control Panel, you can also disable system sounds by choosing the "No Sounds" for your sound scheme in your "Sounds and Audio Devices" dialog box. HTH.

Well, I took a look at the BIOS and there was no audio device listed in the Onboard section. So I went to the other devices section, I forget what it's called but it was the one above "PCI devices". And there it says "Compaq Audio" something, so I'm guessing this is the one I'm supposed to disable?

If you're in Compaq's bios configuration, that's probably it. Each manufacturer does it differently. But I have to tell you, I don't do that myself. What I do is leave audio enabled in bios and point Windows to the on-board audio as its default before setting the Windows sound scheme to none. So that only programs I specifically point to my premium sound board will muck with its sample rate.

Howard

Go Back to forum