• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 'Memories' - for Orchestral Harp

Share/Bookmark

'Memories' - for Orchestral Harp

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted something. Here we go.

To paint a grander scheme of things with this piece, let me mention first off that what I'm posting is part of a 3-movement suite I'm writing. Thanks to the wonderful players I have access to at Cornish, I've planned the suite as following:

1st mvt - Folk song for celtic harp
    2nd mvt - Ballad for orchestral harp
    3rd mvt - Upbeat finale for celtic harp, orchestral harp and djembe

So what I have here is the 2nd movement, which I've titled "Memories."

The source of inspiration digs somewhat deep into me emotionally. As a lot of my non-accompanitive work tends to revolve around my dreams, this too spawns from them. You know that feeling that occurs when you wake from a particularily lucid dream? One that was just too real to be fictional? It is the memory of that which I try to portray in this movement. The fog of morning, a recollection of perhaps a romance or enjoyable adventure, lost and usually forgotten.

Memories

Enjoy

Re: 'Memories' - for Orchestral Harp

Very beautiful - if I played the harp, I'd want to play this. Looking forward to hearing the other movements.
    It's great you have harpists interested in performing your work. Perhaps you can post an mp3 of a live version in the future.

R. Pearl

Very Nice!

It is a quiet, re-assuring melody and definitely one that seems vaguely familiar. Nicely done
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Wow! Don't know where to begin except to say absolutely beautiful! Very evocotive. Excellent rendition. This definately put me in another place as I listened. Can't wait to hear the others!

Clark

Leif, you always come through with the good stuff.

Fine, idiomatic writing for the harp on this -- and ingeniously composed. I had the sense in places that... the harp was thinking two things at once and talking to itself about them. (I'm not quite sure that comment makes sense, but I think you'll know what I meant... lol.)

Well done! An evocative and quietly lovely piece -- enjoyed listening through this several times.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Beautifully done Lief. Poignant and quietly disturbing. It reminded me of a qoute from a Larkin poem.....
    "The trees are coming into leaf
    like something almost being said."

Like an atmosphere from a dream that cannot be fully articulated, but pervades the mood for the rest of the day.
    A wonderful rendering also.
    regards

Thanks for all the great replies, folks I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I had the sense in places that... the harp was thinking two things at once and talking to itself about them. (I'm not quite sure that comment makes sense, but I think you'll know what I meant... lol.)
    I actually know exactly what you mean It was at the forefront of my attention when composing it... In the form, I went with a concept of repeating something twice and then on the third time, have it go somewhere completely different. The arpegiated chords in the bass clef repeat three times; twice at the beginning, separated by a brief episode. Each time, the treble does a different melodic gesture on top, slowly breaking away from the rigid and straightforward. After the third time, the bass clef is able to take over and have its own melody.. And then from there on it's a combination of the two voices collaborating until the first and last three isolated chords. I only hope I can communicate my intentions to my live player

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    I only hope I can communicate my intentions to my live player
    In a case like this, I think I'd actually annotate the important structural considerations in the score.

And my compliments on doing this subtly enough that, while one subconsiously very definitely feels the form -- it doesn't really surface obviously. Skillfully done, Leif!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Leif,

As a harpist, I like it when people write harps parts that are playable. The composition is beautiful and well-written. If I find time to play again, I wouldn't mind playing it on my harp sometime.

I met with harpist Andreas Vollenweider who also mentioned that much of his work comes from the dream state. Lucid dreaming? Yes- we're doing it now!

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    As a harpist, I like it when people write harps parts that are playable. The composition is beautiful and well-written. If I find time to play again, I wouldn't mind playing it on my harp sometime.
    Wow Gary, thanks I appreciate it. Having of course never written for solo harp before, I was certainly hoping it would be playable. One of my harpists lent me two really great books about the harp and all the little nuances of it. Since I tend to write modally, I found it to be somewhat natural. Definately looking forward to crafting the other two movements~

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast