• Register
  • Help

Topic: My 1st using GPO

Share/Bookmark

My 1st using GPO

Hi all, I'm new here. First let me say that I am amazed at the quality of what I've heard so far. I only hope I can improve to that level! That said, I would appreciate your comments on my first GPO piece. Its an original piece scored for string quartet entitled For Clara. You can read more about it on my Soundclick page and also compare it to the live version (using 3 out of 4 real instruments.) Here's the link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=13735

Thanks for listening,

Clark

Re: My 1st using GPO

Welcome aboard, Clark!

And an impressive first showing in our forum, I must say. Beautifully written piece, and very skillfully executed. Whomever she may be, I do hope Clara is suitably honored by this!

The serenely elegiac first section is fine contrapuntal writing; and that second section is positively ingenious -- an almost Irish folk feel to it, yet a handsome counterpart to its predecessor.

The one technical point I might mention... you might consider mixing a bit more toward the center, overall. (Try listening to this with headphones.) In theory, "realistic" positioning seems like a good idea; but in practice, it can tend to make the players sound as though they are in different rooms... lol.

Come back soon with more!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Welcome aboard, Clark!

And an impressive first showing in our forum, I must say. Beautifully written piece, and very skillfully executed. Whomever she may be, I do hope Clara is suitably honored by this!

The serenely elegiac first section is fine contrapuntal writing; and that second section is positively ingenious -- an almost Irish folk feel to it, yet a handsome counterpart to its predecessor.

The one technical point I might mention... you might consider mixing a bit more toward the center, overall. (Try listening to this with headphones.) In theory, "realistic" positioning seems like a good idea; but in practice, it can tend to make the players sound as though they are in different rooms... lol.

Come back soon with more!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David for those nice comments! I chose this as my first GPO piece so that I didn't get overwhelmed with so many different parts. I have a full orchestra rendition on my soundclick page as well (done a few years ago using hardware synths) and I will likely attempt a GPO version of it as well. I agree with you on the panning. I did bring them in a little from the defaults but I agree that for a string quartet they're probably still a little wide. Thanks again!

Clark

Just an update. I took David's advice and remixed and brought everything in more to the center. I also did a few minor tweeks with tempos to make it a little more expressive. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Clark

Go Back to forum