• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problems with 2gb ram, 64 X2 and Asus A8V Deluxe

Share/Bookmark

Problems with 2gb ram, 64 X2 and Asus A8V Deluxe

Hey people,

I`ve bought my new system about three months ago, but some missing parts only came this week. The memory I originally ordered (2x1gb OCZ 2-3-3-5) couldn't be delivered, so I got a pair of 1gb OCZ 3-4-4-8.

My CPU is a AMD 64 X2 4400+ and my mobo is a Asus A8V Deluxe.

Well, at first, I talked to a pal who has the same mobo. He told me that his system would not work with the 2 memory cards without updating the BIOS. The same happened to me. Also, the system didn't recognized the processor. I updated it and it worked. But it still won't work with the 2 memory together. I changed the RAMs and it didn't work with the other one, so it was faulty, apparently.

Then, when I was about to install Windows XP, I realized something was going wrong. First, after the first blue screen (which detects the computer components), it goes to that black screen which has the little white dash blinking in the upper left corner of the window, and freezes.

Then, everytime I initialize the computer, it freezes. The ASUS logo never goes out of the screen.

In the BIOS setup, I removed it and I saw that, in the memory test, when it test each mb of the RAM, when it reaches 258MB, it crashes. Is that a sign of memory problem?

If I cancel the test with Esc before reaches 258, it goes ok, but then again, after trying to boot, the little dash keep on blinking...

Are my 2 memory cards faulty??? Damn it.
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Problems with 2gb ram, 64 X2 and Asus A8V Deluxe

Hello Fabrício,

I'm sorry to read about your computer problems. The memory test tells us that your memory is failing in your motherboard - but it's not necessarily broken.

Modern RAM includes a code that tells the motherboard how fast it is. Your 3-4-4-8 memory is fairly slow. The mobo should compensate, but it isn't in your case.

You can try going into your BIOS to modify the RAM settings and/or the processor speed. Slow things down, and your system might pass the memory boot test.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a project with little time to spare, so I can't really dig into my BIOS right now. Hopefully, you can refer to your manual to decide which settings to slow down.

Your PC won't be quite as fast as it would be with faster RAM, but it will still have very good performance.

After this project, I will be traveling for a few days. If you don't have it solved when I get back, I'll help you dig into the details.

Just remember to write down your default settings, so you can get back to a default state.

Best of luck!

-JF

Hi Jon,

Thank you for all your help. It looks like I found what was wrong. I updated the Bios to the v. 1017, the lastest, but at the Asus forum, I saw many users saying it sucks. So, I put the 1014 and now, it works fine!!!

I still couldn't install all my software, but the system appears to be very fast, even using my 3 years old 512mb DDR266 memory. Now, I'm looking forward to get new memories ASAP.
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Fabrício,

Great news! I'm glad to hear that you have the system working.

BTW, I ran Giga and Sonar with video continuously for the last few days and never had to reboot the A8V-based system or the apps. I hope you get similar results.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Fabrício,

Great news! I'm glad to hear that you have the system working.

BTW, I ran Giga and Sonar with video continuously for the last few days and never had to reboot the A8V-based system or the apps. I hope you get similar results.

-JF
    Jon you really seem to be clued up on the hardware front :-) If you were putting together a DAW to run GS3, what components would you use? It is all so very confusing. I'd like to go with the AMD 64 X2 4400+ but am unsure of motherboard/video card etc etc
    The Gigabyte M/B K8NXP-SLI was mentioned to me....also the K8N Ultra-9. No idea on video card..

any help appreciated

Mal

Go Back to forum