• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using VSL Overdrive and Performance tool, need a guitarist help

Share/Bookmark

Using VSL Overdrive and Performance tool, need a guitarist help

Hi all,
    I'm not a guitarist, and I need some help about using overdrive with Halion.

Overdrive has many articulation, that I can use, but I don't understand
    how to do an authentic legato line (ex. in a super fast scale like Satriani or similar).

If I use the performance tool to do a hammer-on/pull-off legato and
    I use some staccatos notes I can't achive a good result. It seems a machine
    gun and not a real guitarist.

Single legato line seems like a cartoon effect, but I think it is so because
    I should use a different attack for the first note or something like it.

What articulation can I use ? Sustained notes with a short length or short
    notes like portato ?

Could anyone give me some help ?

Re: Using VSL Overdrive and Performance tool, need a guitarist help

I'm not familiar with Overdrive or Halion. But if you're using the Legato tool it should automatically select legato recorded samples, hammered or pulled. Maybe you should try slowing the attacks for these in Halion. You can further break up the machine gun effect by putting in some slides or picked notes at points where the lick moves more than a major third. (In a fast Satriani type legato lick only the very first note is picked, even when changing strings; with the heavy compression used, a pull-off is enough to produce the tone without picking subsequent strings at all. Nevertheless the new string can be picked, but note the attck causes a slight emphasis). Obviously slides occur when chnging hand positions, and for expressive effect.

First of all thanks for your reply.

Can you give me an example with a simple repetition with your detailed considerations ?

BEST REGARDS

Gdevito, why not come over to www.vsl.co.at and ask you question there? As a registered user, you have also access to direct help from our support - I'm sure the aswer will be fast and easy. -> support@vsl.co.at

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by gdevito
    First of all thanks for your reply.

Can you give me an example with a simple repetition with your detailed considerations ?

BEST REGARDS
    I have no experience with midi sequencing a guitar, as I play it live, so my help is limited; -try the vsl forum.

So I'll just play an improvised legato lick (got an Epi Dot handy) adn -describe it.

Top string starting on 12th fret:
    --3----3----3-------5---
    e d e f e d c d c a b c b a (-> b string) g e (->gstring) d c
    ^p h h p p s h p s h h p p ..................h p................ h p

.................--3--
    (->d string) a g a (->cstring)c d (e) d c a
    ................ h p h.............. ^ h b..... p h

That's how I just played it. p=pulloff h=hammeron s=slide b=bend. ^=Pick. (The numbers above denote groupings -triplets etc) Its not especially Satriano style; that's not my background, but it's fast liquid legato.

Note: that c near the end needed picking because you're hammering on an open string which is not so effective even with heavy compression.
    Apart from that the first notes at each string crossing could be picked (which is in any case necessary in the abscence of heavy compression).

Basically in my style of playing I tend to cover mainly 4 frets (minor third) wtih one hand position, and then cross strings or move position. The reason is that this is the maximum comfortable span whilst keeping the thumb around the neck. People like Satriano and Steve Morse cover 5 frets when playing fast legato runs which means they can often get an extra pull-off or hammer-on into the slur, (and more when tapping). You can tell when theyre doing this: -they stand with their legs apart, knees slightly bent, and their thumb rotates round the back of the neck, fingers splayed. I find it difficult to get good vibrato in this position.

If you load a legato patch along with any others the Legato tool should automaticall select teh legato samples when you overlap notes slightly. At least that's how it works with the strings and winds. Experiment with the attack settings in this patch and the degree of overlap between the notes to get the smoothest legato.

Go Back to forum