• Register
  • Help

Topic: A/D: 2496 or Alesis?

Share/Bookmark

A/D: 2496 or Alesis?

Hi Folks,
    Hope Everyone had a Happy Holiday!

Now that I've bought an SPDIF cable and gotten the digital out on my Alesis MultiMix 16 FXD (A handy little 16 channel mixer) to record to my AudioPhile 24/96 Digi in, I need to know a little more in depth tekkie stuff:

The question is now this: Since I have the choice of Digi-Digi or analogue-analogue (the Delta Audiophile having 2/2 digi/Analogue), the determining factor seems to be quality. Is it better to use the Alesis A/D converters (the quality of which I am completely in the dark about) and send the digital signal to the Audiophile via SPDIF,

OR

Should I send an analogue signal to the computer (which would use the audiophile to convert), with the soundcard inside the box (risk of interrference)?

Thanks for any hints.

Belbin

Re: A/D: 2496 or Alesis?

If you can leave it in the digital realm that'd be the way I'd go. If you're starting out with an analog signal...why not try it both ways and see which you like better. The ear alway knows! Cheers, jc

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    If you can leave it in the digital realm that'd be the way I'd go. If you're starting out with an analog signal...why not try it both ways and see which you like better. The ear alway knows! Cheers, jc
    True, and I could even hook up analogue/digital at the same time, recording each to its own track using one signal, and A/B it. Good call. Ears. I forgot about those!

Then, since my mics are all crap.....no rush, really.

Thanks, jc, but you or anyone got anything on the relative quality of the converters in both devices? You're right that the ear knows best (and I will test for myself), but I'm just curious now as to which is "better" spec wise, and whether the soundcard doing conversion inside the box tips the scales at all.

Thanks,
    Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    .....Analogue....
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    ....Analog.....
    Is this a case of Canadian spelling/American spelling, or am I just plain wrong?

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Is this a case of Canadian spelling/American spelling, or am I just plain wrong?

Belbin
    Yes. Americans don't know how to spell!

Rob

Always happy to make my hoser bros feel good about something! jc

Go Back to forum