• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2nd drive question

Share/Bookmark

2nd drive question

If I add a couple Sata drives (for samples)thru a PCI connector should I get a marked improvement over having only one Ide drive? Currently I can only play 5 voices/samples. I'm not sure about the PCI connection. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks

Re: 2nd drive question

Quote Originally Posted by commalot
    If I add a couple Sata drives (for samples)thru a PCI connector should I get a marked improvement over having only one Ide drive? Currently I can only play 5 voices/samples. I'm not sure about the PCI connection. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks
    I'd work on getting a higher polyphony out of your current setup. Not only does my sample drive perform about as well as my single drive setup of a year ago (that is to say, I haven't seen much improvement after adding a dedicated sample drive), but you should be able to get WAY more voices out of a single drive. Only 5 voices is an indication of something else being wrong. Have you defragged this drive lately? Have you set the max polyphony in GS config manager to your liking? Are you using all 24-bit 96k samples or something? Even that shouldn't cause such a low ceiling. Seriously: If your computer doesn't suck (post your specs), you should be able to get a hundred voices or more out of one drive, assuming that drive is up to spec. If you weren't planning on adding more drives, don't do it yet. Do more troubleshooting instead.

Belbin

Re: 2nd drive question

I fired up GS3 again and realized I'm actually doing OK for 1 drive. I was starting to get drop outs after 5 "tracks" not "voices". In the voice meter it starts to crackle at about 110 voices. I'm new to all this. For now I believe the best way for me to operate is do a few tracks and then bounce them to an audio track and then a few more, etc. Computer is P4, 2.8, 1 gig ram, Sonar 5 PE, a single iDE drive.

Go Back to forum