• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac PwrBk w/ 1.5 ghz CPU--is there a way to increase functionality ofJABB ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Mac PwrBk w/ 1.5 ghz CPU--is there a way to increase functionality ofJABB ?

I've been running GPO on a G4 powerbook with 1.5ghz cpu and 2 gig of ram and it's been ok for what I've needed so far. I've been working from notation in Finale and running no more than 18 instruments and no percussion.
    I've discovered the JABB is much more demanding on CPUs the GPO apparently and can't run anthing with drums without severe loss of playback function. I plan to get a dual processor G5 eventually but meanwhile are there ways around the problem just to get a few computer realizations of charts done? I don't know much about midi seqencing but do have Pro Tools 6.9. Would either of the following work?
    1) Is is less demaning on the cpu if I were to save a Finale chart which I want to realize with JABB samples as a midi file and import it into Pro Tools and then run playback and manipulation from there?
    2)If I were to run a less expensive PC 3.0 ghr cpu and some how link it to my Mac to control the with in it' ram ---is that doable and advisable? I have a friend who has a set up like that--don't completely understand it but if you think that's the best inexpensive way for now I'd investigate it.

I appreciate anyone's ideas/ support.

Thanks

Jazztao

jazztao@comcast.net
    Last edited by jazztao; 12-26-2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: misspelling

Re: Mac PwrBk w/ 1.5 ghz CPU--is there a way to increase functionality ofJABB ?

Wait for the coming update (soon.) It has lite instruments designed for use with slower computers. The instruments in JABB use considerably more complex programming than GPO and put considerable demands on system resources. The JABB lite instruments reduce the features and complexity of the programming to give choices to users with slower computers and less available RAM.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jazztao
    1) Is it less demaning on the cpu if I were to save the Finale chart as a midi file and import into Pro Tools and run playback and manipulation from there?

absolutely, yes,
    record each instrument to it's own stereo or mono audio track and then mix it. After you record each instrument to an audio track, mute that midi track. You can add up a bunch of tracks this way.
    MIX AWAY!

Dan

Arrow Re: Mac PwrBk w/ 1.5 ghz CPU--is there a way to increase functionality ofJABB ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Wait for the coming update (soon.) It has lite instruments designed for use with slower computers. The instruments in JABB use considerably more complex programming than GPO and put considerable demands on system resources. The JABB lite instruments reduce the features and complexity of the programming to give choices to users with slower computers and less available RAM.

Tom
    Tom,
    Thanks for the quick reply
    Two quick follow up questions:
    In the short term-when you say that the lite version of instruments update will be soon are you estimating in terms of months or weeks?

For long term, I'm going to be buying a bigger, more powerful system and want to be able to make full advantage of all JABB features--will a G5 dual processor do the trick or is the programing some how more optimized for PCs?

Thanks!

The Lite Version instruments make a big difference on my Mac mini (1.3GHz G4, 1GB RAM).

However, there is no General MIDI drum kit in Lite version. I could really use that. Please map one out for the next update!

Go Back to forum