• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Most Important detail to get Room Ambiance

Share/Bookmark

The Most Important detail to get Room Ambiance

Hi all,

I'm quite new on this board, but I've read some of the older topics, seems to be a very serious community. I'm myself the happy owner of a Garritan Personal Orchestra and a VSL Chamber Strings library.

Now on to the subject. I'm getting better and better at Impulse Response reverbering, but I always miss one thing in my mix : human coloration.
    This is for me, the most important detail to get a decent Room Ambiance in my track, when producing music in a digital environement.

Thus, I've used to sample background a few background noise, like the beginning of the recording of an orchestral session, where you can hear gentle hums, or musician's quite breathe, and the whole theatre's background noise, but very quitely (at around -40db), all that whith mic's white noises and gentle parasites.

I know what you're thinking. This guy is insane. Well, you're maybe right. But if you understand what I'm saying, and if you have an idea of what I'm looking for, i.e. tracks with no sounds, but only this important "silence".

So, by any chance (I'd be lucky I guess), do you guys know any crazy library manufacturer that has this kind of samples ?

Now you can start laughing.
    Thanx in advance !

Re: The Most Important detail to get Room Ambiance

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchino
    ...I always miss one thing in my mix : human coloration.
    This is for me, the most important detail to get a decent Room Ambiance in my track, when producing music in a digital environement.

Thus, I've used to sample background a few background noise, like the beginning of the recording of an orchestral session, where you can hear gentle hums, or musician's quite breathe, and the whole theatre's background noise, but very quitely (at around -40db), all that whith mic's white noises and gentle parasites.

I know what you're thinking. This guy is insane.
    I don't think you are crazy at all! I think you understand that humans get excitement from "being there" and experiencing music as it is made, sharing that experience with fellow audience members.

It's part of why some "live" albums can be so much fun. They capture that "human flavor" and excitement.

I am, in fact, currently working on an album of "live" songs for a big concert that only happened "in the studio". And for just the reasons that you cite.

--- Glenn

Thanx y'all for the quick reply

Glenn, well I guess you got the Idea right. And I'm also talking especially for people who will upload their music to their iPods, and get the fully detailed listen to you tracks. If it sounds too digital, they might dislike it even if it's well scored ^^

NeoTypic, you pointed it right in the target, that's exactly what I was looking for ! I'm happy not to sound that much crazy by the way...

Here's the direct link thanx to google :

http://www.beladmedia.com/scoring-noise-2.htm

You're absolutely right about wanting some ambient noise. Anybody who has done audio production and editing for film knows this. It's important to record some "silence" for each scene. Then, when you cut the unwanted audio from the recording (due to off camera coughs or other noise), you can mix in some clean silence. If you don't, the 100% silence in the gaps is terribly noticable.

Ideally, each impulse would also come with some "silence" recorded in the same space that you could loop and mix without passing through the resonance. Otherwise, you could take some dry noise and pass it through the impulse.

-JF

Thanks Zachino for bringing that up, and thank Neo Typic, for sharing.
    This is going to be very helpfull to create the elusion off a reel orchestra, in fact this could very well be what was missing,... i knew it was to clean.

Hehe,

That's good trick about film scoring.

Sometime details matters, and this kind of details turns out to be just mandatory when least expected I guess...

Go Back to forum