• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do you know your Bach?

Share/Bookmark

Do you know your Bach?

Here's a link to a BBC competition to see if you can tell the difference between real Bach, virtual Bach, and contemporary Bach:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/bach/robotcomposer.shtml

Sadly, only UK people can actually enter the competition to win a prize.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Do you know your Bach?

Pretty cool!! My call would be--

1) computer
    2) human
    3) Bach

I feel pretty good about 3, 1 and 2 could go either way

Cool Re: Do you know your Bach?

1) computer
    2) Bach
    3) Human

Comment: all pieces are very generic pattern collage. Bach composed some secondary composition using only very common patterns, but I believe that the harmony of piece 2 is more stable, in the style of short Bach keyboard compositions, 3 has some colourful harmonic transitions that seems to me more contaminated by classical or at least french rococo style (and the citation of the 2 part invention in F theme in the middle cadenza is at least unusual...). But I may be wrong.
    The 1 is a very pour collage, doesn't matter if the robot, a human, or Bach composed it, then I vote for the robot of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    1) computer
    2) Bach
    3) Human

Comment: all pieces are very generic pattern collage. Bach composed some secondary composition using only very common patterns, but I believe that the harmony of piece 2 is more stable, in the style of short Bach keyboard compositions, 3 has some colourful harmonic transitions that seems to me more contaminated by classical or at least french rococo style. But I may be wrong. The 1 is a very pour collage, doesn't matter if the robot, a human, or Bach composed it, then I vote for the robot of course!
    I second your answer

Wink Re: Do you know your Bach?

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Pretty cool!! My call would be--

1) computer
    2) human
    3) Bach

I feel pretty good about 3, 1 and 2 could go either way
    The true challenge is to find the real Bach composition, I agree.

In fact, the rest is depending from quality: a very good software (using a large library of patterns, and a style description good algorithm for harmonic sequences and pattern paste procedure, as we did in Conservatorio) may work better than a bad human composer (as we also did in Conservatorio...)...

My vote is assuming a good composer did the job...

Well, we seem in agreement on 1 but you have shaken my faith in my choice on the other two. The monkey wrench, is, as you say, if they choose a poor human composer on purpose to throw people and that is 1 but probably not. I hope they post the answer on Monday!!

Very interesting.

I think...

1) Computer
    2) Bach Original
    3) Human Composition

1) is very well written but I feel a lack of structure. If 3) is robot-made, I would admire the programmer of the software.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

gr.... I can't listen to it.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Damn, can't listen to number 3
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

I could finally listen to half of 3rd piece...

I agree:

1 is computer
    2 is Bach
    3 is another human composer
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Go Back to forum