• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stradivari plays J.S.Bach Solo Sonata N1

Share/Bookmark

Cool Stradivari plays J.S.Bach Solo Sonata N1

I want to play with uncovered cards...

- IT IS NOT PERFECT YET, I know. But it's good enough IMHO to be posted.

- IT IS THE RESULT OF A LONG REFINEMENT, starting from very basic first versions, then refining sequence, then sound, then expression, and version after version, everytime better. Giorgio Tommasini suggestion helped me finding out better use of vibrato, intensity and speed, and portamentos and trills control. He was never satisfied...(and probably he still is not satisfied by this version too... )..but every remake he asked for was better than previous, then thanks Giorgio for the last one.

- IT'S NOT A BAROQUE nor LIVE PERFORMANCE. The opposite, following DpDan method, it's the sequencer rendering of an old true audio recording, played on a modern violin, with a nearly romantic sound and style, just a little sweetened by a meditative respect for Bach music mood. I consider it excellent to show sound and flexibility of the solo sound of Stradi, between Ancient and Modern style and technic.

- IT IS A CHALLENGING SEQUENCE, a little ambitious, becaus of the use of polifony, chords arpeggiato, "naked" sounds and difficoult "fioriture". But the extreme complexity made simple is the aim of innovation...

- IT IS AN UN-OFFICIAL DEMO: I was never authorized posting it, I hope nobody will bann me after that bravery...

I used the audio track, and a yellow-paged old book of a friend of mine, with his Violin Conservatorio degree examination performance original marks, bowings, expressions and slurs, still written with the pencil on the score.

http://www.webalice.it/fatis12/files...,%20Adagio.mp3

and the actual MIDI file:

http://www.webalice.it/fatis12/files/Sonata1.mid

Comments are wellcome. I didn't resist to the temptation of posting it first...

Re: Stradivari plays J.S.Bach Solo Sonata N1

Fabio, excellent work!! Very expressive. I'm feeling a lot better about the portamento and vibrato in this demo.

One thought- I still feel that one of the giveaways of the violin being sampled is the drop-dead perfect intonation of every note. Could you, just for edification, try a version with some subtle pitch modification of the notes- just a few cents here and there-- like drum programmers playing with timing for a human feel, I think working with the intonation ever so slightly would impart some human feel. Anyway, I'd like to hear if it does or not.

Which is not to say that this doesn't sound quite wonderful.

Fabio - amazing as usual!

I am in awe of that legato playing - I mean I have never heard anything that convincing before with samples.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: Stradivari plays J.S.Bach Solo Sonata N1

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Fabio, excellent work!! Very expressive. I'm feeling a lot better about the portamento and vibrato in this demo.

One thought- I still feel that one of the giveaways of the violin being sampled is the drop-dead perfect intonation of every note. Could you, just for edification, try a version with some subtle pitch modification of the notes- just a few cents here and there-- like drum programmers playing with timing for a human feel, I think working with the intonation ever so slightly would impart some human feel. Anyway, I'd like to hear if it does or not.

Which is not to say that this doesn't sound quite wonderful.
    YEAH! It was the last strong request of Giorgio! And I promise that I will do it.

The Stradi bending is very sensitive and effective playing live, but it's usefull for very minimal pitch control in sequencing too, exactly aimed to what you are asking for.

This is excellent, Fabio!!!

Waiting for your wonderful music everyday!!

Roberto

Lightbulb Re: Stradivari plays J.S.Bach Solo Sonata N1

I'll refine with pitch bending, and finally post a MIDI file as discussion matter in the tutorial section! Everybody may teach and learn something, it's the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I'll refine with pitch bending, and finally post a MIDI file as discussion matter in the tutorial section! Everybody may teach and learn something, it's the magic.
    Fabio. This is so impressive. It must have taken many many hours to get this level of realism. I would love to see the midi file when it becomes available.
    Congratulations on a superlative effort!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Very Good work Fabio.This is one of my Wife's favourite pieces to play, so I have heard it about 1,000 times.
    You have done a smooth version of this piece, and I like the double-stops.
    Although Bach is not my favourite composer,he would be in most peoples top 5 I think.
    But Bach's solo violin music is his best work of all.IMHO. And as a feat of composition, it is probably the greatest thing ever written. With One Violin there is truly no place to hide for a composer, and so we can truly hear the level of invention.
    The D minor Partita is my particular Favourite.I think it might take 3 months to fully realise the Chaconne on the Garritan Strad.
    I would love to hear you do one of the Fugues.To me it is one of the greatest miracles of composition, how Bach wrote truly wonderful fugues for 1 Violin.
    regards

Fabio

Splendid rendition! It sounds beautiful. Congratulations with this work.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour tre grand, il faut avoir t petit.

Fabio,
    Bravo!! This is sublime. The realization is beyond convincing. I found myself listening to the interpetation and violin technique. The double stops are smooth and very well balanced. I agree with Joaz the Ciaconne would be a great project. Perhaps you could do a brief demo of that amazing work.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast