• Register
  • Help

Topic: Plunger technique - anybody getting it to work?

Share/Bookmark

Plunger technique - anybody getting it to work?

I've been trying to get some plunging going, and haven't had too much success. I have to draw some pretty extreme controller arcs on cc16 to get anything vaguely plunger-esque to happen, and I can't seem to get any cc26 or cc27 to work with the plunger instruments, which I thought might have helped.

I realize this is something that's supposed to be explained better at some point, but I'd like to at least know if I'm supposed to be able to get something more pronounced than this example, with some other kinds of tweaks or technique - http://www.endresnet.com/Plunger.mp3

Thanks,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Re: Plunger technique - anybody getting it to work?

Nobody's tried to use the plunger? I guess everyone's toilet is running fine, eh.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I would LOVE to use plunger mutes but haven't come across anything in the manual about it. Page 24 lists: harmon, cup, bucket, and straight, but no plunger. Have you found it in another place? Could you point me to the directions?
    (Toilets are okay thanks)
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Page 25 of the manual mentions it briefly, saying that cc16 controls the "open/close" action of the mute. But then adds that "this is another feature where a detailed explanation will be supplied in the User's Guide". So I guess we have to wait for that. You can get a very basic effect by drawing cc16 up and down, but it's not very convincing, at least the way I'm trying to do it, so there must be more technique or trickery involved which Tom will explain later.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I'd recommend setting up a programmable fader if you have if for CC16. You need to control this one in realtime for the best effect. I found it works quite well and has the pitch shifting that happens with the real thing.

Jim

Okay, I don't have a MIDI controller yet with controllers. Would you be able to do a screencap of your controller data on a plunger effect? Maybe I can draw it in a certain way that will work better.

Thanks,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Any progress on the User's Guide, Tom? I'm still looking for any better instructions on doing the plungers.

Thanks,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

BUMP in the day...
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Any progress on the User's Guide, Tom? I'm still looking for any better instructions on doing the plungers.

Thanks,
    Shaz
    It's on the list and I hope it won't be too long before I find time to do it.

Tom

Go Back to forum