• Register
  • Help

Topic: K.H. Emerald

Share/Bookmark

K.H. Emerald

I made the mistake to order Kirk Hunter's Sapphire. As soon as I tried the samples I knew I should have bought Emerald from him. Now I have both because I just had to get Emerald.
    I am very happy with it. The only complaint I have that it is huge, and while the instructions comes with the 4 DVDs, they are dipersed in the samples as text files. It would be better to keep them in one printable file because for a while you will have to look up things often if you wish to use the great number of articulations efficiently. I am making my 'manual" now. Kirk said at one point on this Forum that he did not intended this to compete with the "big ones". Maybe not, but what I experienced with Sapphire and Emerald, I did not hear or experience with the Big Ones.
    Kudos and success to Kirk.

Ted

Re: K.H. Emerald

It's my understanding that Kirk is planning tutorials for his website. Don't know when they'll be available. And I agree. I think Emerald competes pretty well, even if that's not Kirk's intent.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Thanks for reminding me about the instructions!

I just got Emerald a week ago and love it and so much so that I just also bought Virtuoso Strings.

I agree ... in that I see Kirks work as having a rare character found only in very special works I've seen in my life experience. My first girl friend used to call this character "thoroughbread" ... or "the best of the best."
    It seems to be about the internal focus of the craftsman, or musician, making it's mark, having it's effect, on those capable of responding to the resonance of the makers energy.

I use a text editor called NoteTabPro which has a favorites menu like a browser and also allows multiple ( seemingly more than 100 ) text files to be open at the same time inside of one frame.
    It also allows CTRL+F to search content of all open documents.

I think I'll do a *.txt search in my J:\Emerald directory, create a new favorites category in NoteTabPro and add all of those instruction files to the new list.

Steve

For what it is worth I just got Emerald and I am going to experiment in making some xfade programs (K2 version) as I really don't like using velocity to control strings. Apart from that so far the library sounds great.
    Chris

Maybe he has been using GPO for some time and got used to the intuitive way it is handled. Personally I have huge problems adjusting to the "classic" way samples are controlled, after using it for such a long time. It seems so clumsy and unnatural. A question of preference, I guess.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Actually although I have GPO that wasn't the reason. I do like velocity but not on sustained strings. I learned long ago that the best way to emulate an instrument is to play the sound like the instrument. The use of controllers is the way to do that so I would much rather have velocity control the attack which is what I am working on for KHS. So far I have a nice 2 layer x-fade RR patch made for 1st violins. I haven't had any time to work on more yet.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Argitoth
    does the transitions from p to m to f work well-enough convincing when using cross fades?
    There is a violin viola and cello that have very large swells on them triggered by the mod wheel. They are very smooth as I see it.
    I have very little experience with Emerald, only 1 song so far, but I'm very excited by the possibilities and think it's great sounding and also very controlable.

Steve

So far Kirk has build me a 2st Violins MOD=Swell, Vel=attack patch. It is lovely. I am sure he will be making an update soon.
    Chris

Don't forget that during Dec. 05, anyone who purchases KHSO Emerald get a free disk of a large and usable portion of KHCS Violins. Since today is the 29th, there are only 3 days left for this promotion.

Happy New Year!
    Kirk

Go Back to forum